Thread: Can we better define the "enabler" options?

Redline Motorsports

Default Can we better define the "enabler" options?

What is the PCM thought process on the four options allowed in the enabler section.

Only the following values may be entered into this table:
    - A: 1 Trip, Emissions Related
    - B: 2 Trips, Emissions Related
    - C: Non Emissions
    - X: Not Reported

How does the C selection differ from A and B with respect to emissions? Does this effect the readiness tests?

When selecting X: Not reported; where does it not get reported to?

By disabling the enabler does it just not allow the PCM to test that sensor based upon the service manuals requirements?

Does option A and B let the error to occur once (for type A) and twice (for type B) before it performs a test?

I guess I'm really in a deep thinking mode!

Howard

Howard, this is my understanding...

A,B = reports DTC, and DTC influences readiness test;
    C = reports DTC, but DTC doesn't influence readiness test;
    X = doesn't report DTC;

A = if DTC condition is present for 1 trip, then report DTC and turn on MIL (if MIL enabler is on);
    B = if DTC condition is present for 2 trips, then report DTC and turn on MIL (if MIL enabler is on);

where do DTC's get reported to...? I suppose they get reported to the readiness tests;

if a DTC is reported due to being A or B, then some readiness tests get set to failed;

...or so it seems to me...;
    Joe

Redline Motorsports

Joe,

Sounds like good ole' logic to me! What is the defining parameters of a "trip"?

Is it the a failed test?

The rationale tests will define a trip. It's different for every sensor.

Any more information on this? I am legal and have cats, yet I am getting P0420 and P0430 (catalyst low efficiency). I have set my P0420 and P430 Processing Enablers to X: Not Reported. My System Readiness is showing not ready because of a failure of the "Idle Catalyst Efficiency Test - Bank 1 and Bank 2".

Can I just set P0420 and P0430 to C: Non Emissions to get around this?

I have a emissions test coming up in a few months, so I'd like to get this worked out now if possible.

Last edited by JR_VETTE; November 2nd, 2006 at 03:55 PM.
    2008 Corvette Z06 - Stock until warrnty expires

You may have to go through a couple of start/run cycles after clearing a code before the readiness test passes. The protocol varies a bit from one vehicle to another. As an alternative, try setting C3210 to a 1 or 0.
    DigitalEFI- EFILive US Distributor
    sales@digitalefi.com
    678/344-1590

Quote Originally Posted by JR_VETTE
    Any more information on this? I am legal and have cats, yet I am getting P0420 and P0430 (catalyst low efficiency). I have set my P0420 and P430 Processing Enablers to X: Not Reported. My System Readiness is showing not ready because of a failure of the "Idle Catalyst Efficiency Test - Bank 1 and Bank 2".

Can I just set P0420 and P0430 to C: Non Emissions to get around this?

I have a emissions test coming up in a few months, so I'd like to get this worked out now if possible.

Those must be some cold O2 sensors you're running behind those cats...

Quote Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
    Those must be some cold O2 sensors you're running behind those cats...
    Yep. They are the factory O2's, and they are pretty far back.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll clear the codes again and start over.

Edit - I changed C3210 to 1. Its default was 6. Hopefully that will speed the process up a little.
    2008 Corvette Z06 - Stock until warrnty expires

OBD-II Drive Cycle(Taken from Understanding OBDII: Past, Present & Future)
    The OBD-II drive cycle begins with a cold start (coolant temperature below 122 degrees F and the coolant and air temperature sensors within 11 degrees of one another).
    NOTE: The ignition key must not be on prior to the cold start otherwise the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.
    1. As soon as the engine starts, idle the engine in drive for two and a half minutes with the A/C and rear defrost on. OBD-II checks oxygen sensor heater circuits, air pump and EVAP purge.
    2. Turn the A/C and rear defrost off, and accelerate to 55 mph at half throttle. OBD-II checks for ignition misfire, fuel trim and canister purge.
    3. Hold at a steady state speed of 55 mph for three minutes. OBD-II monitors EGR, air pump, O2 sensors and canister purge.
    4. Decelerate (coast down) to 20 mph without braking or depressing the clutch. OBD-II checks EGR and purge functions.
    5. Accelerate back to 55 to 60 mph at half throttle. OBD-II checks misfire, fuel trim and purge again.
    6. Hold at a steady speed of 55 to 60 mph for five minutes. OBD-II monitors catalytic converter efficiency, misfire, EGR, fuel trim, oxygen sensors and purge functions.
    7. Decelerate (coast down) to a stop without braking. OBD-II makes a final check of EGR and canister purge.