Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: VIN Lock gripes.....

Lifetime Member

I've used SDK's ,programmed to low level controls, databases, etc, and created user and developer interfaces for years. But, I have no specialized knowledge of extracting or writing information from and to the PCM of a vehicle.

I have B&B Electronics interface to communicate with the PCM. But, use of it is poorly documented, and I've only gotten around to learning it enough to get basic information from the PCM. There's no real SDK I could find for programming using their adapter. I had to use the generic Microsoft serial commnications control to do that.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

You will not have to deal with a third party.
    You will still deal with EFILive.
    The product will still work "out of the box".
    You, the end user, will not have to do any special configuration for your 98, EFILive will create all the configuration files that will allow you to tune your 98.

The only difference (from 99-04) is that the information will be provided to EFILive by a third party (or parties) and therefor we will not charge the end user for that information.

So basically it is up to the 98 tuning community to throw as much calibration information at EFILive as possible. We will then create a free 98 calibration definition for EFIlive.

Note: "free" means that the definition is free. You will still need to buy a license for the EFILive Tuning Tool, and the FlashScan interface cable. What you will not have to pay for is the 98 calibration definition. It will be a free download.

Paul

I agree that the price must be somewhere in the middle.

If you set the price per vin too low everyone will go out and purchase a copy putting the tuners out of business. Put the price too high and small business people like myself will skip purchasing the program all together because it just doesnt pay. Up here ( Vancouver, Canada ) there is an extremely limited ls1 market so its like balancing on a bit of a knife edge.

I would suggest an option to purchase a "tuner licence" for about 1500.00 usd that includes only 1 vin. You would then have the ability to link up and add vins as necessary for about 150$ per vin. The system would have to be upgradable on the fly ie: customer drops in for a tune , I log into your site and purchase an additional vin using my tuner licence over the net , upload it into the cable or whatever and tune the car. This reduces the initial expense for a small shop but still creates good return on investment.

Regular vins should be locked to 1 vin with the ability to purchase 1 more at a slightly reduced cost or similar imo.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky
    You will not have to deal with a third party.

...etc

Paul
    Thanks, Paul... that cleared up many things.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345