Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now atempting 2-bar SD: Problems and questions!

Default Now atempting 2-bar SD: Problems and questions!

Im a complete newb at this except for what I have been able to read in my research efforts over this last couple of weeks, so any and all help appreciated. :lol:

Basically, I set SD parameters(I think) and then tried to start the truck, w/out the maf. I will list the steps I have taken below:

1: Set Maf fail to 0 and disabled the SES lights for MAF codes P0101, P0102, P0103, P0106 - P0108 set to 'x' and No MIL
    2: (CAFR = 12.1) changed all points to 1.21
    3: Disabled closed loop
    4: Copy High Octane table to the Low Octane Table
    5: Disabled PE mode
    6: Scaled MAP scaler to read 50kPa when key on, ended up with value of 93.0, with my sensor.
    7: Bypassed the barometric pressure updating

Next, I cleared the fuel trims and tried to start the truck. It started, but would hardly run and was trying to idle at around 400 rpm, with the wideband showing like 16:1.

Here are a few of my present questions:
    1: What other tables do I need to change to reflect the new "halved" map values? Ross mentioned something about the LTFT matrix etc.
    2: What else do I have to adjust to get a reasonable idle?
    3: Once I get the VE 'auto-adjusted' what do I do next as far as fueling goes? Do I just re-enable closed loop and PE?
    4: I know I have other questions I forgot about, but these are the ones that come to mind.

Thanks in advance for any and all sugestions.
    1999 RCSB: P1SC, 57lb inj, E-fans/34\" rad, 3:73-Eaton 18\" Toyo\'s, Flashscan-FJO, Griffin IC, FLP level 5 and PI 10.5\" 3-disk....

Default Re: Now atempting 2-bar SD: Problems and questions!

Quote Originally Posted by BlownAlaskan
    1: Set Maf fail to 0 and disabled the SES lights for MAF codes P0101, P0102, P0103, P0106 - P0108 set to 'x' and No MIL
    I am not sure on the MAF fail to 0, you want the PCM to know it has failed, so if the values of C2904 are left as stock it will detect the no MAF situation instantly, 10 is a common value there.

6: Scaled MAP scaler to read 50kPa when key on, ended up with value of 93.0, with my sensor.
    Weird, what sensor is that one?.

Next, I cleared the fuel trims and tried to start the truck. It started, but would hardly run and was trying to idle at around 400 rpm, with the wideband showing like 16:1.
    One thing to remember is the kPa in the Cranking VE (the PCM stays in cranking mode for a few seconds) and your main VE kPa's are now halved. So before where you were running say 50kPa at idle, the reference point in the table is now the value at 25kPa.
    Just log the data and track it in the editor to see where it is now looking.

This 'project' should end up as a good tutorial for all readers, if you want to try upping the VE in the cranking and main VE table at those points that 'should' help your lean idle.
    Worst case, scale the MAP again to read 100kPa at key on (how high is Alaska??) and get the engine running in SD mode first then rescale to 2bar knowing you can get it running in SD mode O.K. You might be battling two issues. BUT, you won't see any boost with the MAP scaled back to read 100kPa at key on so do this just to sort out the idle.

If you are still stuck please Email me the file (with a log too) and we'll keep the results public. It may help others.

Cheers,
    Ross

2001 Camaro SS
    EFILive Custom OS3

That scalar sounds like you have the wrong sensor...

To setup SD tuning mode I created a script which you can download HERE

Code:
    [ Script]
    ;ID	Cal	Adj	Value	Update Area	Comments
    -------	-------	-------	-------	---------------	------------------------------------------------------
    10=	C6002	SET	C6002	.		Set DTC's as per [C6002] section below.
    20=	B3605	SET	1.21	".,.,"		Set the table to command 12.0 AFR
    30=	B4205	SET	140	.		disable closed loop
    ;40=	B5913	SET	B5914	.		(manually) Copy High Octane Table to Low Octane Table
    50=	B3618	SET	1.0	.		Set PE to 1.0 to disable PE mode

[C6002]
    P0101= 0
    P0102= 0
    P0103= 0

I'm also working on a script to setup the 2 bar parameters but I'm still researching it a bit...
    2001 Camaro SS
    EFILive Custom OS3

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SS2win
    To setup SD tuning mode I created a script which you can download
    Ahh! now I can see why you wanted the cal copy feature in the scripting. Nice idea
    Paul

Since I could never find clear answer on what sensor to buy, I decided to try using the one that came with my autometer boost guage. I'm sure this a probably a bad idea, but I thought I'd give it a shot. :oops:

Ross: This part of Alaska is very close to sea level (cool and dense)! When you said modify the idle and cranking areas of the VE, are you talking about what ever points I see loging in the scanner?
    1999 RCSB: P1SC, 57lb inj, E-fans/34\" rad, 3:73-Eaton 18\" Toyo\'s, Flashscan-FJO, Griffin IC, FLP level 5 and PI 10.5\" 3-disk....

Please confirm, exactly what values do I use in C2901-C2906 for the MAF fail? There are four boxes, high and low fail.

The map sensor you want is 12569241. you'll need to make a pig tail to connect it to the wiring harness as it is not a direct replacement for the LS1 part.

As for the MAF frequencies I didnt find anywhere that stated you HAVE to change them. Unplugging it should do... someone correct me if I am wrong...
    2001 Camaro SS
    EFILive Custom OS3

Thanks for the P/N, I will get it on order. I need the freq settings, becuase my iat is integrated into the MAF(truck).

So, I got the truck to idle by raising the idle speed and raising the ve values in the <1200 range. WBAFR is still showing lean around 14-15:1 during my short drive while the commanded showed 12:1. This seems really off to me. I can just paste the error factors right into the VE table, correct? This is exciting, runing w/ no MAF.

Do I want to do any smoothing each time I change the VE?
    Do I want to reset the fuel trims each time I flash a VE change?
    What other tables need to be modified to reflect the new MAP values?

Continued thanks,
    Ben

I guess the next step is to check out the autotune post by scoota
    2001 Camaro SS
    EFILive Custom OS3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast