Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how difficult is this tuning thing, new here

Welcome to the forum Kurt.

As far as learning to tune, you're well on your way. Ask a billion questions, even if they've been asked before. Read everything you can! Then experiment in baby steps. And remember, if you stare at it long enough, it will start to make sense.

You don't need a gauge for the WB. Just purchase the sensor and controller and connect directly to the V2. The LC-1 tutorial is very helpful - even if you're using an LM-1.

thanks purchased the V2 last night and the LC1 from GreenlightMS
    Quote Originally Posted by TAQuickness

As far as learning to tune, you're well on your way. Ask a billion questions, even if they've been asked before. Read everything you can! Then experiment in baby steps. And remember, if you stare at it long enough, it will start to make sense.

You don't need a gauge for the WB. Just purchase the sensor and controller and connect directly to the V2. The LC-1 tutorial is very helpful - even if you're using an LM-1.

I don't think tuning is all that difficult because I've hear that even politicians can learn to do it. Of course, after they do, they lie about it.

Those considerations aside, there's an article about EFILive in the February, 2008 issue of Corvette Fever magazine you may find helpful.
    Last edited by dfe1; March 26th, 2008 at 09:06 AM.
    DigitalEFI- EFILive US Distributor
    sales@digitalefi.com
    678/344-1590

ok can anyone explain to me....VE? what the hell is it...I read the tutorial on Auto VE what exactly does that do? correct the A/F? I will have an LC1 wideband. Where and how is timing adjusted? any tutorials on that i can read before i receive my efi live v2 on tuesday...my header install should be done tomorrow...so can you guys explain the VE tables, timing tables(high octane spark or what?) and how all this relates and exactly what VE table is...thanks and sorry again for the new questions

tuesday when i get it...I'd like to register make an initial log without the wideband installed and delete the rear 02's....anyone want to give me what i need to do to delete rear 02s or what it is i need to do to not run cats and not have any pcm troubles
    thanks again

Sounds to me like you're in for some real tough times unless you take a step back, take a deep breath and start reading. VE is a pretty basic part of tuning, and if you don't even know what it is, you shouldn't be messing with it. This is one of those rare instances when I'm not being a smart-ass, but the world is full of "expert" tuners who continually screw-up customers' vehicles because they never learned the basics. You need to get a better grasp on concepts and basics before you make any significant changes to a tun file.

Now that my soapbox has collapsed, VE is an acronym for Volumetric Efficiency. In basic terms, when stated as a percentage, it's a measure of the amount of air an engine is using, expressed as a percentage of its displacement. As an example, a 350 cubic inch engine, operating at 100% VE will consume 350 cubic inches of air. In a sense, that's irrelevant because VE tables are typically used to control fuel flow; the PCM computes fuel flow based on air flow as specified by VE. Everything else being equal, a higher VE percentage indicates higher air flow which calls for higher fuel flow. Timing is adjusted by altering entries in the spark tables, but there's a lot more to it than that because there are a number of other tables that affect timing based on things like inlet air temp and coolant temp.
    DigitalEFI- EFILive US Distributor
    sales@digitalefi.com
    678/344-1590

Yes, you must read [alot and widely]... this is your new life (reading).

Quote Originally Posted by TAQuickness View Post

Welcome to the forum Kurt!

I agree with TAQuickness! I'm still learning the basics too, but with the help of this forum, am getting the hang of it and so will you!

The best advice, in my opinion, is to read and sponge up all of the info that you can find about tuning. The bad part about being new to this and just learning this, is to discern which info is good and which is not. Always think things out and use your common sense!

The Guys on this forum are straight shooters and Very knowledgeable and helpful (trust me, I've asked and still am asking my share of questions). They won't make you feel like I'm a moron for not knowing the answers. They remember where they came from and when they started. That's what makes this the Best tuning forum on the net.

I bought all of the tuning books that I could find and have read most of them as time has allowed. They explain the basics of how things work. For me, once I understand how something works, it makes it easier for me to work on/with. I'm not afraid to mess with the software, but I respect it because it can do some SERIOUS damage if use with reckless abandon, so just take your time and before you kow it, you'll be helping the people out that are where you're at now (I can only hope to get to that point someday, but I will and so will you)!

Hang in there and Good Luck!

By the way, Sorry for the novel!

what are good fan settings for a 02 Z06 stock stat just want the fans on earlier cuz i was over 200 at the line last time at the track btw how the heck do you get this in degrees F not C? also...No cats here turned all four sensor 2 bank1 and all for sensor 2 bank2 to not reported so i wont get the codes p0140 and p0160 anymore....I have my AIR system hooked up should i disable it since i have no cats to light off? If so how is this done...I disabled my cat converter protection

is there a list of acronyms...holy shit a ton of em..whats PID?
    Was checking out my high octane spart table mines been modified....i assume the cars had a tune previously...compared to a stock 02 Z06's....anyways high octane spark table....grams/cylinder is that grams of air per cylinder at a RPM in 400 rpm increments....is something i can/will log and determine how how much air/cyl im getting and how many degrees of timing it will take without getting knock?
    was looking at a modified tune for a HC z06...mines only headers no cats intake car...but it seems like 2000-3600 on the modified tune goes from 23,24,26,26,27,26 then drops to 23 for 800 rpms then back up to 26 at 4800 and remains 26 up to max...why the 800 rpm drop...wouldnt it be better to ramp it up to 26?....mine goes as follows from 2000-3600 22,23,25,25,26,25 down to 22 for 1200rpms then at 5200 on up goes to 26 degrees of timing....Stock is as follows from 2000-3600 22,23,25,25,26,25 and from 4000 on up its 22 degrees....it seems mines not been touched until 5200 is all this normal?...Sorry again for all the NEWB questions
    It appears my VE table is stock....would the previous tuner have messed with maf settings to try and lean out the stock tune...I'll check on that shortly and let you guys know
    question when you floor it does it go into VE mode or somthing....Im real green on this stuff sorry and thanks for the help

how is afr adjusted by "pro tuners"
    Last edited by Kurtomac; April 4th, 2008 at 05:15 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12