Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCM Locked by a HP-Tuner

Default PCM Locked by a HP-Tuner

Howdie All!

I have a new customer vehicle on my dyno for tunning. It is a 2001 Camaro
    5.7 Gen III with a charge cooled Vortech and a plethora of other toys.

My first issue to overcome is that the previous tuner used the HP Tuners
    system and then LOCKED it. After contacting the previous tuner (a rival local) we were informed that they would not unlock it for us.
    The car only runs o.k. when at WOT. Very rich anywhere else (your basic quarter miler tune). The transmission will not shift before red line and when it does it is soft. This is a daily driven (or it is supposed to be) and must pass OBDII emissions. I should be able to do that for him.

1) Can I send this PCM in somewhere and have it unlocked?
    2) Can I get a good base map (once I provide more info) to move this
    along?

Thanks in advance- Tim H

Hey! It's beer thirty on a Friday - what are you doin' reading this?
    Thanks in advance- The Spindoctor (Tim H)
    Back ground-Mustang AWD500 Dyno- Over 500 tunes on systems including: Autronic, MoTec, AEM,COBB,Haltec, Electromotive,Greddy, Microtech (to name just a few)and now EFI Live!

Lifetime Member

Maybe expensive, but ELIMINATE the stock PCM and replace with a RoadRunner, then flash it with the correct file and vin.

Ask "Blacky" on this site. He is the authority I would think.
    07 Silverado DMax Classic
    02 Z06 LS3 416, 805rwhp, TFS245, Wiseco, Callies Crank/Rods, Iskendarian Lifters, Crower Rockers, FAST102/90, ATI Damper, 1-7/8 Kook's LT, QkTime Shield,Tolle-Fab 8pt
    Old Engine: 1/4mile = 9.6/146 New Engine:?

EFI Live Tune/Scan v7.5.27, EFI Live Scan and Tune v8.2.23, build 276, BootBlock 2.07.06, FirmWare 2.07.52, 512K RoadRunner (12.14.R), Innovate Serial LC2x2

COS5/12212156 For 2002 Z06 Manual Vette

You would probably be better off getting the original tuner to flash it back to stock & leave it unlocked. If he wont do that for you he is a lowlife.
    If he used a custom HPT OS to tune it you wouldnt be able to read it locked or unlocked anyway.
    The Tremor at AIR

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5.7ute View Post
    You would probably be better off getting the original tuner to flash it back to stock & leave it unlocked. If he wont do that for you he is a lowlife.
    If he used a custom HPT OS to tune it you wouldnt be able to read it locked or unlocked anyway.
    That is exactly what you should try first.

Failing that you can return the PCM to EFILive* and we can unlock it and return it to stock. You can then tune it the way you want.

Either return it to Ross at EFILive in Australia (if you are not in the US) or to Jesse at Wait4Me Performance in Indiana (if you are in the US).
    There is usually a $50 charge to unlock the PCM and reset it to stock.
    Note: It can take up to 4 days to unlock.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

I think HPT is setup to lock by default whenever the car has a custom os of their in it. I saw a LS1 that was 'locked' without hpt saying to lock and the only way to access was reflash with HPT a stock tune and then it was unlocked.
    Oztrack
    EFILive Tuning Consultant

Worldwide Remote Tuning Service

2006 NSW Super Street Drag Racing Champion

www.oztrack.com.au

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by oztracktuning View Post
    I think HPT is setup to lock by default whenever the car has a custom os of their in it. I saw a LS1 that was 'locked' without hpt saying to lock and the only way to access was reflash with HPT a stock tune and then it was unlocked.
    When I used HP Tuners, I tried their custom OS. To get to EFI Live, I reflashed with my tune but in a standard HP Tuner file. This file was not stock. Then, was able to read w/EFI Live. I had never locked the tune though.
    07 Silverado DMax Classic
    02 Z06 LS3 416, 805rwhp, TFS245, Wiseco, Callies Crank/Rods, Iskendarian Lifters, Crower Rockers, FAST102/90, ATI Damper, 1-7/8 Kook's LT, QkTime Shield,Tolle-Fab 8pt
    Old Engine: 1/4mile = 9.6/146 New Engine:?

EFI Live Tune/Scan v7.5.27, EFI Live Scan and Tune v8.2.23, build 276, BootBlock 2.07.06, FirmWare 2.07.52, 512K RoadRunner (12.14.R), Innovate Serial LC2x2

COS5/12212156 For 2002 Z06 Manual Vette

Quote Originally Posted by oztracktuning View Post
    HPT doesn't lock by default unless you configure it that way. I have both HPT and EFILive and I'm currently running an HPT Real-time custom OS. I haven't had any issues scanning the PCM with EFILive but have not tried writing because I just assumed it wouldn't work.

Edit: I tried to read the HPT unlocked custom OS with EFILive and it gave me an error stating the OS is locked. I suspect its the difference's in bootloaders that cause this issue.
    Last edited by 405HP_Z06; May 30th, 2008 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Correction
    Aaron
    '03 Z06 Corvette - The normal stuff...
    EFI-101, EFI Advanced, EFILive-101
    EFI University Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Spindoctor View Post
    Howdie All!

I have a new customer vehicle on my dyno for tunning. It is a 2001 Camaro
    5.7 Gen III with a charge cooled Vortech and a plethora of other toys.

My first issue to overcome is that the previous tuner used the HP Tuners
    system and then LOCKED it. After contacting the previous tuner (a rival local) we were informed that they would not unlock it for us.
    The car only runs o.k. when at WOT. Very rich anywhere else (your basic quarter miler tune). The transmission will not shift before red line and when it does it is soft. This is a daily driven (or it is supposed to be) and must pass OBDII emissions. I should be able to do that for him.

1) Can I send this PCM in somewhere and have it unlocked?
    2) Can I get a good base map (once I provide more info) to move this
    along?

Thanks in advance- Tim H

Hey! It's beer thirty on a Friday - what are you doin' reading this?
    Your best bet is Jes (Wait4Me). I know he can fix this issue.
    Aaron
    '03 Z06 Corvette - The normal stuff...
    EFI-101, EFI Advanced, EFILive-101
    EFI University Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06 View Post
    HPT doesn't lock by default unless you configure it that way. I have both HPT and EFILive and I'm currently running an HPT Real-time custom OS. I haven't had any issues scanning the PCM with EFILive but have not tried writing because I just assumed it wouldn't work.

Edit: I tried to read the HPT unlocked custom OS with EFILive and it gave me an error stating the OS is locked. I suspect its the difference's in bootloaders that cause this issue.
    I think it was macca779 who tried to scan a custom OS from HPT a while ago who found a few issues. If memory serves me correctly the MAP readings are modified on their custom OS that will cause some strange readings when trying to scan with efilive. Hopefully he can elaborate a bit more on what he found.
    The Tremor at AIR

Lifetime Member

One day I selected the wrong PCM which made the EFIlive to say it's locked, try this. Another solution, try to find some one who holds tech2, it is too easy to return it stock with tech2.
    Regards,

Odd Boy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast