Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: '08 TBSS E67 fan control?

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    Very true, but I want make sure I can tow 6600lbs up the mountains in the NW in the summer with 0 problems. Maybe Im just paranoid, but even with the stock mechanical fan clutch on my 02 it starts to overheat in 100F weather towing 4000lbs up a 10mi grade of about 3-5% grade. Its a hill that all the RVs always overheat on and cars have cooling issues in the summer.

Also, GM did extensive testing on the TrailBlazer platform and found they could not get an efan setup to cool all the time so they were forced to revert back to a mechanical clutch setup. Fullsize trucks have larger radiators which helps alleviate this problem and GM couldnt shove a big enough one in our trucks to make it work.
    I understand there Erik and agree , on certain applications , maybe e-fans are not the best , but to generalize that all e-fans are not good for towing is a incorrect assumption . When dealing with e-fans CFM is key , there are a lot of e-fans that produce more CFMs than their mechanical counterparts , so a e-fan with greater or equal to CFMs can replace a mechanical fan with out any degradation to performance . So I hear !
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigTex View Post
    As mentioned earlier in this thread, the 08 Impala SS has the same OS, so that may be the ticket. I just couldn't find an EFI file for an 08 ImpSS. I looked all over the normal repositories and even trolled around several Imp forums looking for one.
    Richard, if you can get me a VIN # from an 08 Impala SS, I'll get you the calibration file.

Thank you Justin. I appreciate the help.

From ebay:
    2G1WD58C789158582
    2G1WD58C781332746

You can send the file to: richard AT z71.net

Richard -
    2008 Trailblazer SS - TVS1900

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    The fan in the 06 and 07s can be made to come in earlier than they do stock, I think since yours is a true mechanical fan, you're stuck with how they work. Something that would help, is throwing the biggest trans cooler you can fit on there and bypass the one in the radiator. That will take a good bit of cooling load of the rad. Either way, unless you find some special E-fan, I don't think it'll do what you want it to.

GM put mechanical fans on these because they wanted that 6500lb tow rating, and E-fans couldn't cut the mustard on their grade test.
    I have set my fan to come on earlier than stock and it helps a ton when towing in the summer, but it doesnt come on more often. Actually all 02-07 TrailBlazer platform fans (regardless of engine) are all PWM mechanical fans that are PCM/ECM controlled, it is only the 08-09s that are purely mechanical fans. I have a 18000gvwr trans cooler that keeps the trans temps down but it still overheats on this crazy hill. And I know theres no efan out there right now that will fulfil my needs so as much as it pains me Im screwed out of luck. There are some I6 guys running Flexalite 292 fans with better success than LS1 fans. And Ive read as much GM documentation as I possibly can regarding this issue, they tried a lot of things to slap efans on our trucks but eventually couldnt make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by tunedbyGM View Post
    I understand there Erik and agree , on certain applications , maybe e-fans are not the best , but to generalize that all e-fans are not good for towing is a incorrect assumption . When dealing with e-fans CFM is key , there are a lot of e-fans that produce more CFMs than their mechanical counterparts , so a e-fan with greater or equal to CFMs can replace a mechanical fan with out any degradation to performance . So I hear !
    Very true, very true. Most guys will never have a problem with efans but I just cant take that risk, at least at this point in time. CFM makes a big difference here too, and a lot of people disregard this important fact.
    Last edited by ScarabEpic22; November 11th, 2009 at 10:21 PM. Reason: spelling
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

I don't see why you just can't copy a fan segment from a say 08 Silverado , they have the fan settings and I believe E67 PCM , different OS number though .
    Doesn't a Corvette and Cadillac have a E67 PCM with fans ?
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Lifetime Member

I don't see why you just can't copy a fan segment from a say 08 Silverado , they have the fan settings and I believe E67 PCM , different OS number though .
    Doesn't a Corvette and Cadillac have a E67 PCM with fans ?
    Trucks use the E38 controller. Even if they did use the E67, it's rare to come across different platforms that share an OS, sadly.

Funny I just tuned a 08 Chevy with a E67 , and had e-fan settings . weird !
    2006 Trailblazer

Lifetime Member

Funny I just tuned a 08 Chevy with a E67 , and had e-fan settings . weird !
    Double check that. If it has 2 harnesses into the ECM, it's an E38. You'd be seeing the first E67 equipped silverado. Might be a collector's item.

Ross, I truly do understand why you would not want to spend that much effort for this issue. But what about a segment swap from another vehicle with the same OS? Any help you can give would really be appreciated.

I have 12618164 for my OS. All you other 08 guys have the same one?
    I am 12618164 OS as well. My "System" calibration ID number is 12610807. Guess we'll have to start looking at Caddy E67 OSs.
    Last edited by JAY4SPEED; March 27th, 2009 at 07:18 PM.

I don't think HPT can change the 08 TBSS to efans either, can they?
    I did some asking around and checked into it and it looks like for the 2008s flashing to an 2007 OS may have worked.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast