Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to tuning of this magnitude- Please help

Default New to tuning of this magnitude- Please help

I have an 04 6 speed. I understand EFILive is not ready for the 03-05 CRs but I would like to start learning now so I have a good idea of what I am doing for when the software is available for my truck. I have a smarty s06 and have played with the SSR but not extensively. I am not real happy with the Smarty after seeing my friends' 06 and 07 Live tuned trucks hit the dyno and murder mine, and from reading these threads none of you seem to thrilled with Smarty either. I downloaded the demo version and have been playing with LLY pre-saved tune. I have been going through all the posts for the 5.9 just trying to soak up some information and ideas, and though some are over my head I have learned quite a bit already. I got to the EFILive for dummies custom mapping thread but when I tried to do create a new map and hit Ctrl + enter but it didn't do anything (possibly because that's for Cummins software only?). So my questions are- is playing with the demo version not doing me any good? How do I go about getting the full version where I can play with mapping, injection, turbo parameters ect? I'm sure this is stupid to ask, but is there a book on EFILive? Could someone send me a good tune where I could go through all the parameters and compare it to the stock tune for the Cummins? This is all for learning purposes only but as soon as Live is out for my truck I will be buying it. Obviously I am not the tuning genius most of you are, but I have a decent understanding of the physics of the different tune-able areas of a diesel which must help in some way. I just have a lot of learning to do and I am willing to put in the time. At some point I will need to know everything that I need to purchase, whether tuning software is separate or not I have no idea, and what hardware I need to buy, which is best for me ect. If you don't have the time to answer all my questions please just point me in the direction of the best way to learn the ins and outs of EFILive if possible.

And just out of curiosity, what is the difference in tuning licenses and stream licenses?

Thanks,
    Zach

Lifetime Member

I can answer the VIN vs stream license, but right now diesels (especially Cummins) are out of my knowledge base.

A VIN license (currently Cummins controllers can ONLY be licensed this way, no streams are available as of 1/4/12) is locked to the controller's unique serial number. So if you purchase a new ECM/PCM, you need a new VIN license to flash it. Theoretically you could move your ECM/PCM to another truck and not buy another license, but then you'd be giving up your tuned ECM/PCM.

A stream license lets you flash an unlimited number of that controller type. For example, if I were to buy an E67 stream license I could write to unlimited E67 ECMs, regardless of year, serial #, etc. But, this stream license is ONLY for that particular controller (ie Id still have to buy VIN licenses for any E38s I wanted to tune).

Hope that clarifies it a little better.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Check out my website...I have nearly an hour long tutorial video posted.. passcode is 7777
    -Kory

I'm out of ideas? Nah trick... When in doubt, 0xFFFF it out!

http://www.PPEI.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dmaxink View Post
    Check out my website...I have nearly an hour long tutorial video posted.. passcode is 7777
    Don't worry about his hockey helmet and drool cup though....doctor said the condition is temporary.

1207 HP / 1612 TQ

LOL Rich wtf? hahahahaha

We just down Tabasco sauce with a side of crawfish for that fix...what Dr.?? lol
    -Kory

I'm out of ideas? Nah trick... When in doubt, 0xFFFF it out!

http://www.PPEI.com/

Thanks Kory. I'm not the OP, but I'll take advantage of the knowledge you shared.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmaxink View Post
    LOL Rich wtf? hahahahaha

We just down Tabasco sauce with a side of crawfish for that fix...what Dr.?? lol

Just had to liven up a Tursday.

1207 HP / 1612 TQ

there isn't a whole lot of info you'll be able to read on the Cummins as of yet. The V2 does come with a scan and tune manual on a CD which helps a lot but is mainly geared towards GM.

I don't know if the powers that be care but, if they don't..... I could post the manual .pdf files for you.
    '07 5.9 Mega 3500
    11.7 @ 118 / 8200lbs

Quote Originally Posted by triton View Post
    there isn't a whole lot of info you'll be able to read on the Cummins as of yet. The V2 does come with a scan and tune manual on a CD which helps a lot but is mainly geared towards GM.

I don't know if the powers that be care but, if they don't..... I could post the manual .pdf files for you.
    Well if it isint Mr. Rattler himself...welcome to the "Real Tuning World" Ty!!!
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    2014 Ram 3500 Aisin tuning Emissions Equipped
    EFI Live Cummins BETA Tester
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    silverbullettuning@gmail.com
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt
    http://www.facebook.com/SilverBulletTuninig

Please look to the work of Rich from Doghouse Diesel...he made these "How-to's"...just for newbies like yourself.

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....-How-to-guides
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    2014 Ram 3500 Aisin tuning Emissions Equipped
    EFI Live Cummins BETA Tester
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    silverbullettuning@gmail.com
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt
    http://www.facebook.com/SilverBulletTuninig

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast