Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 4l80e tcc throttle close cax

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lextech View Post
    Hhmmm. Try this. I lowered the MPH a bit.

Same thing. Will a log help?

Quote Originally Posted by PSI View Post
    Hey Jeff , you modified my tune a while ago , I still can't get the converter to stay locked when I get off , can you please take a look at it again . Sorry to bother you again
    Just a heads up, my truck kicks the TC out when i let off lightly as in going down an overpass. And when i run over 73mph. The DTC codes says cylinder missfires and cylinder#7 missfires. I have chased everything electronic finally put a stethoscope to it at #7, oh my heavens!!! Ive never heard such a noise from a "good" running motor. Gotta get in there asap. Check your misfires??

Quote Originally Posted by Tinbender59 View Post
    put a stethoscope to it at #7, oh my heavens!!! Ive never heard such a noise from a "good" running motor. Gotta get in there asap. Check your misfires??
    Lifter/valvetrain noise...?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Lifter/valvetrain noise...?
    Tinbender is old school, he may have used a stethoscope to come to that conclusion. Pretty sure his motor is stock.
    1998 GMC Sierra K1500 5.7/4L80E, longtubes, 411 w/COS 5, marine cam/intake, Whipple. 91 octane at 6000'.
    1997 GMC Sierra K3500 7.4/4L80E, 411 w/COS 3, Whipple, small cam.
    2004 Corvette Z06 with longtubes.

Steth is fine... I'm wondering if it's just valvetrain, or if it's more severe.

Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    Tinbender is old school, he may have used a stethoscope to come to that conclusion. Pretty sure his motor is stock.
    sorry i wasn't notified of the responses, yes, I used a Stethoscope, I have had the valve cover off, couldn't see anything obvious. I hope to get the G6 out of the shop tomorrow. (bad fuel tank vent valve, leaking oil sender took out the starter, starter took out the battery "weak anyway") lol Are we having fun yet??? anyway?? The truck is going in for exploratory surgery Monday or Tuesday, worst case - broken piston, not burning oil?? best case - collapsed lifter, probable issue - pitted camshaft. my machinist thinks this is the problem claims to have seen a lot of them lately??, it does sound like a stinking diesel at idle!!! gurrrr I've got $13000 invested, not quitting now.

look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux84a6SJAc0
    Last edited by Tinbender59; March 9th, 2019 at 12:56 PM.

Lifetime Member

My 454 did that. Got the truck like that and didn't even know it, the belt sqeaks were louder than the ticking. When I was addressing the belt squeak I heard the tick so I just ordered a cam and lifters without opening anything. I was right. I'm not sure that the 8.1 was prone to this as well? If so, you can run a GenVI cam if you get the plate so you're not subject to the terrible aftermarket of 8.1 cams.
    1998 GMC Sierra K1500 5.7/4L80E, longtubes, 411 w/COS 5, marine cam/intake, Whipple. 91 octane at 6000'.
    1997 GMC Sierra K3500 7.4/4L80E, 411 w/COS 3, Whipple, small cam.
    2004 Corvette Z06 with longtubes.

Long story short found the rocker arms wore out where the ball sets, making a popping sound when you move the ball. Second Long story short expert wasn't going to tell me that unless I bought his rockers. But he did mention if I put a larger than stock cam in I would wear them out , so I went looking. Also found camshaft had gald marks on it, check the rollers in the lifters, all three that I checked, the roller bearings had rough spots in them. I guess it isa blessing in disguise that I caught it before it destroyed the motor. I'll be Going back stock with everything. my research shows if I put a bigger cam in, I'll have to put in roller rockers, next will be springs, then headers, then??? where does it end. Ill just stay stock, it's a farm truck. Besides $600 repair bill beats $1600+++++??

P. S. Sorry for hijacking your post

Good that you found it now.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast