Thread: corvette ASA 2000 tune - strange spark - v high

Default corvette ASA 2000 tune - strange spark - v high

Hi Guys,

been hunting around for data on 36 lb/hr bosch injectors from ASA corvette.
    Anyway, got a tune from the tunedepot

this is it:
    2000 Chevrolet Corvette (ASA) Coupe Manual LS1 5.7 Litre (9381344).tun

now i'm presuming as these are race engines that they were tuned pretty well. The spark advance is reall reall high , like in the 30* region
    Is this because they ran a race gas ?????

Even so, they run a slightly increasing timing from like 2000, no dip at peak torque, they run a 12.X afr until 3200 then it is 13.X, does this still make good torque etc... i'm getting a dyno slot soon for an hour or so, just ondering if it is worth while trying something similar to this ?

Don't know where that tune originated, but I would not run that in any LS engine... too much timing and too lean IMO (too lean is the bigger problem, timing is a couple degrees too high, but close)... I've tuned hundereds of these cars with many different cam/heads combinations, and none of them are anywhere near that - even with race gas...
    GM EFI Tuner
    02 WS6 9.41 @ 143 MPH 3675#, drag radials, pump gas, through the mufflers - sold

Hi maudy,My first post here, and I have looked at that tune as well. Looks like that asa tune is pretty well engineered. Very good use of all the tables as I see it. Looks like they are running it at lean best torque, with fuel mileage in mind imo. For a race engine I will bet they are not running it at street engine coolant temps. So they are adding fuel at the higher coolant temps in pe mode. Unless you are going to do alot of testing and such like measuring exhaust gas temps and have an identical setup you probably wouldnt want to use that tune. It is cool to look at a tune like that, as alot of time and money and research goes into something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by oldwelder View Post
    Hi maudy,My first post here, and I have looked at that tune as well. Looks like that asa tune is pretty well engineered. Very good use of all the tables as I see it. Looks like they are running it at lean best torque, with fuel mileage in mind imo. For a race engine I will bet they are not running it at street engine coolant temps. So they are adding fuel at the higher coolant temps in pe mode. Unless you are going to do alot of testing and such like measuring exhaust gas temps and have an identical setup you probably wouldnt want to use that tune. It is cool to look at a tune like that, as alot of time and money and research goes into something like that.
    The PE modifier based on engine coolant temperature table is a stock corvette table in that tune... And they are actually running it 7 degrees cooler than a stock tune. So, they are not adding fuel via the ECT table. It is a totally stock untouched VE table. The MAF table is pretty much stock too, except that they ran the top on out. Don't know if they run cats, but they did leave the cat overtemp enabled, so maybe they are relying on that to richen it up - not a very good way to do it in my opinion... Personally, I think they are just running it on the ragged edge because they have the budget to do it - only has to last one race... I've tuned several road race cars and would never put them on the edge like that - don't think they would last too long... Just my 2 cents.
    GM EFI Tuner
    02 WS6 9.41 @ 143 MPH 3675#, drag radials, pump gas, through the mufflers - sold

The "ASA.tun" is junk.

Here's a script for the Bosch 0280 155 868 fuel injectors.
    Bosch_0280155868_36 lb_injectors.txt
    512k RoadRunner Firmware 12.14R
    FlashScan V2 Bootblock V2.07.04 Firmware V2.07.22 EFILive V7.5.7 (Build 191) V8.2.1 (Build 181)
    LC-1 WBO2

thanks guys, just wanted an oppinion. I've not been running mine like that so dont worry. And from the research I've done noone suggests to do so, or to run so much timing.

I wonder if they still did a fudge factor tune...and made things just 'work' regardless of getting everything set up correctly???

Mr Prick. Thanks for the txt file, I found that previously in another of your posts. The ASA tune actually has exactly the same values. Shame I had coppied them all over by hand.....

For my dyno I think it setup timing similar to a stock Z06 but increase timing up from about 4400 rpm (as it runs a flat 22 deg from there) But I plan to test my tune with a set 12.6 AFR accross the board and see how that goes. Maybe lean up abit over peak torque but we shall see. My WB has just packed up so need to buy a new one first

I think you are on the right track - I would start off with around 24* at peak torque and go up to 26* after 4800 rpm. I usually run a little richer (12.5) at peak torque, and lean it out after 4800 rpm to around 12.7 or 12.8... The dyno will tell you where it should be!
    GM EFI Tuner