Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 4l80e upshifting when held in gear

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Gee, what a really helpful answer! Sure makes a lot of sense! NOT!
    Actually when people do this for a living, it does make sense. Read post #6 that Taz most graciously offered you. Pay a few dollars for the work others have done. Makes sense now, doesn't it Garth?

peace
    Hog
    1997 rcsb stock L31 longblock, Marine Intake with 28# EV6 injectors, L35 2700 stall TC,Hooker LT's 2.007 60ft

Lessee there mr hOG.... Taz's reply was post 9, not 6. And your overintellegent comment was post 5, before Taz said anything.
    Making sense or not... what kind of help does saying "Money talks BS walks." offer?
    PM'ing Taz offered a solution, you did not.
    It might interest you to know that that option was being asked for, for a long time now, from the EFILive folks.
    Wolfie
    LS1B 2007 Express 6.0 /w 470,000+ miles (parked as of 01April2011)

Lessee there mr hOG.... Taz's reply was post 9, not 6. And your overintellegent comment was post 5, before Taz said anything.
    Making sense or not... what kind of help does saying "Money talks BS walks." offer?
    PM'ing Taz offered a solution, you did not.
    It might interest you to know that that option was being asked for, for a long time now, from the EFILive folks.

For clarity, post #9 of this thread contains a link to another post, in this OTHER thread in post #6 Taz offers up the solution.
    I was referring to that thread, which I had read before your post came along.
    My light hearted post Money talks and BS walks comment, refers to other efforts (thousands of hours of work) and results that which many people would easily take when it has clearly been explained that the people doing said work, would like to recoup SOME costs. That is all I meant. I knew that other members would be along and offer the help IF THEY WISHED.

The option you speak of, yes, has been desired for a while. AFAIK it isnt being included with any future release.

C'mon, yod didnt find my Waynes World "Garth" reference the least bit humorous?? I guess it's a dry humour. But you did make a comment "Making sense or not". Which comes across as though you dont care if things "make sense or not". Have a great day.

peace
    Hog
    1997 rcsb stock L31 longblock, Marine Intake with 28# EV6 injectors, L35 2700 stall TC,Hooker LT's 2.007 60ft

Actually I just wasn't expecting that. - the money part.
    I don't have an issue with paying someone for thier work.
    When I was into this rather heavy back between 2007 and 2010, it wasn't as business oriented, it was much more of people helping people,
    as in Weatherman Shawn and Jocar's work, and the "lean cruise" patch, and even most of the "stickies". Things have changed in the past few years here.
    by the way, I never saw Waynes World...
    Wolfie

When I was into this rather heavy back between 2007 and 2010, it wasn't as business oriented, it was much more of people helping people,
    as in Weatherman Shawn and Jocar's work, and the "lean cruise" patch, and even most of the "stickies". Things have changed in the past few years here.
    I agree that there has been some great work done here in the EFILive world, esp. by the guys you mentioned. I enjoy going back and reading those posts, some great stuff was accomplished.
    I personally dont have the ability to make up some of those patches, there are some very intelligent people here. I was more involved in the revolution of using the 0411 PCM and calibration from 2001-2002 Express van and retrofitting them into the 1996-97 GM trucks/vans/SUV's which are only supported via Tunercats2, Jet DST and Westers Garage. The swap also extends into the 1998-2000 GMT 400 styled truck that had the GEN 1E Vortec 305/350 engines. EFILive does support the 1998-2000 blackbox PCM's, although the stock rev imit being set at 5600rpm defuel, and refuel at 5400rpm, no matter what numbers you enter, the PCM has a hard limit of 6000rpm. Kinda like the LT1 PCM's dont support revs over 7300rpm. The 512kb 0411 PCM has proven very versitile.
    I also had some involvement in the CSFI (Central Sequential Fuel Injection) being retrofitted for a GM/Mercruiser MPFI intake/injection which allows you to use whatever fuel injectors you need. The stock CSFI intake uses a poppet fuel injection sysrtem that flows 23.1 lb/hr@63psi of railpressure. Obvioulsy this is limiting and GM actually developed a workaround that used Muletc 2 mini injectors at the ends of the spiders legs instead of poppet valves. The 1996-2002 CSFI injection is 100% the same between the L30 305 and the L31 350 and when used in California with their fuel blens caused major issues with eth poppet valves. This was one of teh reason GM developed the MPFI conversion spider(picturedbelow) GM had a campaign that swapped out the CSFI spider for the MPFI mini injector spider for all California registered 1996-2003 305/350 trucks/suv/vans under warranty. The MPFI spider was so effective, that GM used these new mini injector injection spiders that they included them in production of the 2004+ LU3/L35 4.3 V6 engines.
    Stock CSFI spider top, MPFI spider with Multec 2 mini injectors bottom

Here is a picture of all the injection spiders, fuel distribution block, fuel pressure regulator named "injector debris" causing turbulence and blocking airflow within the plenum.

Stock CSFI intake left, Marine intake with EXTERNAL fuel rails right. The stock CSFI has an aluminum lower and plastic upper, whole the marine intake has an iron lower manifiold covered with an aluminum upper plenum. The iron lower does add weight. Any throttlebody, air intake kits or supercharger/turbo kits that is designed for the Vortec 305/350 engine will fit on the marine intake. It doesnt fit the bill ofr every single application, but it is a GM part, that solves a GM issue that only allows for about 390hp naturally aspirated or about 350hp-360hp in a supercharged application. It allows proper fueling instead of relying on extra injectors before the t-body and aftermarket boost referenced fueling controllers.

Here is a crossram L31 style marine intake appearing as it leaves the GM plant.

Same intake with a flat lower plenum floor instead of the stock truck intake

The 0411 and marine intake retrofit were the direct result of a bunch of guys sharing similar interests that get together and solve and issue. Just like the guys did here with all teh work on patches and CAX files. I do understand the feelings of comradery, esp. in the ECM tuning world. GM tries to heep us out of their ECM/PCM/TCM, then the code gets cracked and it becomes a cyclic course of events. With that comradery sometimes simply "cracking the code" and solving the problem is payment enough for certain efforts.
    The joy of solving the Vortec trucks fueling shortcomings and swapping the blackbox PCM's from the 96-2000 GM trucks/SUV's was the challenge. Having many people saying that "it wouldnt work" or "no one is interested in working with old technology" or "just swap in a GEN 3/4 engine" only added to the feelings of accomplishment when we got it all together and running. For most, this is enough, but there are some projects that deserve or require monetary compensation. A lot has changed over the last decade, and I cant fault people for trying to put food on the table. People who do ECM tuning for a living sometimes do have to charge for their work. To a potential customer or simply a guy that comes to these forums asking for a tune or a work around(tune begging), they only see that the help usually comes fast and appears to be the result of "only a few clicks of the mouse". They dont see, or realize the amount of time and energy-work that has led to those "simple mouse clicks".
    I'm not directing my "tune begging" comments at any one person, just reporting what I have and what most of you guys/gals here have seen.

(aside)
    I'm surprised you never saw Wayne's World. That movie was the genesis of the phrase you stated.
    Eg.-When looking at a car, and you feel that the window sticker price of $9000 is too high.
    "I see that you are asking $9000 for this car, that's a GOOD price--NOT!!!!!"

If describing an unactractive female.
    "That chick is hot................. NOT!" or if describing a very attractive female "
    That girl is ugly..........NOT!-followed by WAyne/Garth rising out of their seats yelling "SHWING, SHWING".
    (Saturday Night Live, sure has had some decent talent over the years. I remember trying to stay up to 11:30pm on Saturday niights to try and catch teh show. I would usually make it to the guest band's 1st song and then fall aspleep. Ahh, those were the days)

peace
    Hog

lol, the throttle body o-ring/gasket looks same as LS1/LS6.

Works like it should have, or how I wanted it to... Thanks Taz!!!
    Wolfie

1988_Mustang_COS_52barmap3_trans1_0001.tun

I am having the same issues, along with soft shifts. Could someone look at it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by tdmkr496 View Post
    1988_Mustang_COS_52barmap3_trans1_0001.tun

I am having the same issues, along with soft shifts. Could someone look at it, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Try this (attached).

You have a shift kit, and you're seeing soft shifts...? If you still get soft shifts with the attached file, then try setting the shift times tables to 0.2 seconds all across.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lot's of things have changed over the years and I think the main reason you see less serious involvement in the DIY end has happened slowly do to economy? You mention 2007, well that when it started a downward spiral. Face it all of the automotive hobbies were effected, lots of aftermarket support products and companies did not make it. All the guys who spent spare time reverse engineering and making patches etc... were now spending their time looking for work. There were a lot of tuners but they kept busy locally which was drying up and started the mail order craze... even more came on board with their hobby of tuning and started part time jobs to make ends meet and now there's just way more tuners then there is a demand so prices went ridiculas low and so did quality...

Back when OBDI and chip tuning was in it's infancy a lot of the really talented code guys went OBDII and the expense of software/hardware was not an affordable hobby project anymore, so the guys who still could afford performance cars, hot rods etc... just paid for a tune. The cost of LT1 Edit or newer LS1 edit was a commercial tool that not many could or would afford.

I remember back in the 90's? When EFI Live (some other name) was just a beta scantool and it started on the DIY-EFI OBDI mailing list. Now look where they are!

So I'm glad there's any help left, had no idea Taz was in tuning business till this thread. For him to spend any time helping us while trying to make a living is a real gift! He helped me a few years ago with Lean Cruise. Just did it for me although that was not what I wanted, I thanked him very kindly and did not expect it. But what I really wanted to know was the how and whys of the subject and he took his time for that as well! There's a few guys on this forum alone like Taz that I go out of my way to read all their posts, the learning never stops.

So a big for Taz and all the help he still gives us here! If he want's a few bucks to do things that EFI Live software can't do then all the power to him! With the hours he has spent in R&D to surpass what EFI Live is capable of? He's well worth the cost, wouldn't you agree?

I've got 1000's of hours over many years into dissasembly and still just a beginner even with old OBDI code which is way easier. It's not like there's a online school for reverse engineering GM code...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast