Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Road Trip thru Oz...

Ok, thanks Simon.

We just went to Jamaica for our anniversary last week... we're still planning a trip to Oz.

A lot of things to do in Melbourne. Take a look here http://www.melbourne.com.au/

Ok thanks.

Not to hijack the thread but, has anyone ever taken a motorbike outback excursion? A friend and I plan on doing this sometime around September and we we're wondering how safe it would be say , from Adelaide to Alice on motorbikes.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsZ06 View Post
    Not to hijack the thread but, has anyone ever taken a motorbike outback excursion? A friend and I plan on doing this sometime around September and we we're wondering how safe it would be say , from Adelaide to Alice on motorbikes.
    There are many people who undertake this kind of trip here. We mainly head North to Darwin but the trip south to Adelaide wouldn't be any different. You just need to make sure you have enough fuel & water on board & watch out for the wildlife, especially around dusk & dawn.
    Summer gets really hot through the centre, around 50 deg C at Coober Pedy. But September would be fine.
    If you believe all the media hype, Alice is not a tourist friendly location at the moment. But a bit of common sense and some local advice on where not to go & when will see you through fine. (Mainly keeping away from the trouble "hot spots" at night)
    The Tremor at AIR

Also, remember that Adelaide to Alice on a bike is a long haul 1500km ( let's say 1000 miles ) one way. In addition to the heat and wild life (8ft tall roos and Brahma bulls) there is also the dust and insects to watch out for. Also, remember that Australia has a dirty great hole in the Ozone layer above it thanks to countries that made use of CFC's for much too long. This hole lets through copious amounts of UV that will fry you and a very, very short time. 30min of unprotected exposure can result is some fairly decent sunburn, so be ready for that. If any members do come down Melbourne way, we'll see if we can arrange a bit of a cruise day with some friends off the LS1 forum here. I can't say it'll be as big as the last cruise... http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=145998 but it would be nice to meet up and show off some Aussie muscle cars.

Let us know and we'll se what can be done.
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by johnsZ06 View Post
    Goto http://maps.google.com.au/maps, search "Petrol Stations near A87", under "Did you mean: Petrol Stations near" click A87, SA.

Thanks for the response guys. What would be the best time of year to travel the outback? That ozone hole sounds a little worrisome.

Depends on your likes/dislikes. September, October would be my pick as the nights arent too cold & the days are getting warm(high 20's to low 30's degrees C). Some Years though it can stay cool right up till October, depending on rain patterns. It doesnt really start warming right up till November,December & stays hot till the end of Feb,March.
    If you don't mind the cold I would be heading up this way around "Finke" time. The Finke desert race attracts thousands of interstate & overseas spectators, as well as some international competitors. See here http://www.finkedesertrace.com.au/
    Alice goes real quiet at this time of year as everyone heads down the track to camp for 3 days & watch the race.
    The Tremor at AIR

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast