Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with vehicle staying running and cold starts without throttle aid...

Lifetime Member

Okay then, do the rest... just ignore changing B4205.

Put your MAF table back to the Lingenfelter specified curve before retuning your MAF table.

OK I was trying to decipher your tune file name!

With the slot style MAF they can be sensitive to placement to around the circumference of the tubing if there's any disruption to air flow immediately upstream i.e. sharp bends. Not always so easy to relocate of course.

Using the same information as I had in the previous file but with smoothing the VE and MAF tables here is my 11th OL iteration file:
    OL11_LingMAF_PortedTBSS_Fast.ctz

Here is the Ling. MAF info for the curve, which is almost the same except I have more airflow until u get very high in frequency:
    L480000000 Lingenfelter 100 MM Mass Air Sensor Tables v1.0_000.xls

My Calc.MAFT shows almost exact same data every time for VE table and MAF curve, other than the fact that the weather keeps changing from 40 to 80 every other day here in Louisiana.

Also my desired idle speeds are in b4603 and are up to 900 rpms when it is cool, settling to 725 at 80C...so it doesn't seem like idle speed should be the issue on cold starts. Unless they need to be 1200 or something...

Also here is a partial RAFPN warm up log:

LS1B_0425.efi
    Last edited by sac811; April 10th, 2014 at 04:26 AM.

Lifetime Member

Can you do a cold start log, and log the following;

SAE.TP
    SAE.MAF
    SAE.RPM
    SAE.ECT
    SAE.MAP
    SAE.SPARKADV
    GM.AFR
    GM.IAC
    GM.KR
    GM.IBPW1

Start logging before before you start the engine. Do a start without any throttle aid and then a start with throttle aid. Then do a small cold engine drive and log a stall and restart (if you still have the stalling issue).

Exclamation

Here are a couple cold start attempts with and without throttle aid, with stalling after starting going from Park to Reverse to Drive, etc.:

Coldstart_and_stalling.efi

AnotherColdstart.efi

Current Tune running, while the above logs took place:

OL12_LingMAF_PortedTBSS_Fast.ctz

Also take notice that I increased all idle speeds by 75 rpms and have since retuned for that but am having the same problems anyway.

Lifetime Member

Okay, I've looked at your logs and it looks like your engine is bogging down when cold (too much fuel). I've modified your tune a bit. Flash in this tune and do another cold start log the same way as you did the last one... and logging the same pids.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by statesman View Post
    Okay, I've looked at your logs and it looks like your engine is bogging down when cold (too much fuel). I've modified your tune a bit. Flash in this tune and do another cold start log the same way as you did the last one... and logging the same pids.
    Here are 2 sets of cold start logs after loading in your modified tune:

LS1B_0443.efi

LS1B_0448.efi

Other than not starting without throttle aid, do you have any ideas on how to fix the surging and dying that are shown in these logs as well, once started?

Lifetime Member

Okay, I've looked at your logs and I noticed something that I missed last time. Your problem is not enough air when cold. Your IAC is maxing out. I'm guessing that you haven't drilled or cracked your TB yet. You've got an IAC count around 125 hot... should be 30-50. You need to get your IAC counts down. We'll probably have to put a bit of the fuel back into your cold running, but you need to fix your air first.

Quote Originally Posted by statesman View Post
    Okay, I've looked at your logs and I noticed something that I missed last time. Your problem is not enough air when cold. Your IAC is maxing out. I'm guessing that you haven't drilled or cracked your TB yet. You've got an IAC count around 125 hot... should be 30-50. You need to get your IAC counts down. We'll probably have to put a bit of the fuel back into your cold running, but you need to fix your air first.
    When its hot the iac counts are right at 40, it doesnt get to that until ive been riding around for 20-30 mins tho.

The default IAC is set to 310, should that be changed maybe before opening up the tb blade some and ending up with higher iac counts once actually warm?

For Example:

LS1B_0447.efi
    Last edited by sac811; April 13th, 2014 at 02:38 AM.

I'm switching to an LS7 card style MAF myself on an E40 ECM. What I have learned as you mentioned the IAT output is not compatible and needs to be re-scaled. Since this table is not available I'm switching to a separate IAT that is compatible. Isn't a lot of the cold start fueling based on coolant and intake air temps?
    05 GTO LS2 6spd E40, 70mm front mount turbo on stock long block

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast