Thread: Current Public Release (Updated - Feb 2019)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I have a software question / possibly small request. Not sure if this is the right place for it, but it seems to be the active conversation for the latest software.

I'm probably in the minority, but I use BBX most often for street logging and I'm trying to optimize the process of configuring the BBX and ensuring V8 / V7.5 software is talking the best it can.

I have a lot of custom defined "calculated" PIDs. I have all these defined for the V7.5 scan software which is where most of the real work is done of course. I know in the V8 BBX menu you can define up to 8 "v7" calc params to automatically log, but sometimes I exceed that and I also like to actually see the calculated PID in the log list vs the "v7" menu.

Which led me try and define all the same custom PIDs in V8 software. The problem I've had with the V8 software is the custom created PIDs you have to pick some other prefix... I.E. it might have to be USER.FUELPRES vs CALC.FUELPRES (how it's defined in v7). My fix has been to manually edit the EFILive calculated PIDs .ini file (don't have PC with me, forget exact name). This works fine, but the equation editor function within V8 software won't let you edit the EFILive / CALC. params and sometimes that ini file gets overwritten when a new version is installed. (I make backups before an update)

Is it possible to allow user created PIDs to start with a CALC. prefix or allow the user to edit the efilive defined calculated PIDs within the software? I am doing the latter now, via notepad++, but would prefer the GUI.

Anyways, just throwing an idea out.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aaronc7 View Post
    I have a software question / possibly small request. Not sure if this is the right place for it, but it seems to be the active conversation for the latest software.

I'm probably in the minority, but I use BBX most often for street logging and I'm trying to optimize the process of configuring the BBX and ensuring V8 / V7.5 software is talking the best it can.

I have a lot of custom defined "calculated" PIDs. I have all these defined for the V7.5 scan software which is where most of the real work is done of course. I know in the V8 BBX menu you can define up to 8 "v7" calc params to automatically log, but sometimes I exceed that and I also like to actually see the calculated PID in the log list vs the "v7" menu.

Which led me try and define all the same custom PIDs in V8 software. The problem I've had with the V8 software is the custom created PIDs you have to pick some other prefix... I.E. it might have to be USER.FUELPRES vs CALC.FUELPRES (how it's defined in v7). My fix has been to manually edit the EFILive calculated PIDs .ini file (don't have PC with me, forget exact name). This works fine, but the equation editor function within V8 software won't let you edit the EFILive / CALC. params and sometimes that ini file gets overwritten when a new version is installed. (I make backups before an update)

Is it possible to allow user created PIDs to start with a CALC. prefix or allow the user to edit the efilive defined calculated PIDs within the software? I am doing the latter now, via notepad++, but would prefer the GUI.

Anyways, just throwing an idea out.
    The CALC. prefix is reserved for EFILive defined calculated PIDs so that user changes are not overwritten by the next update - which always replaces/overwrites the files containing the EFILive calculated PIDs.
    Any reason why you must use the CALC. prefix? What's wrong with using some other prefix?

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    The CALC. prefix is reserved for EFILive defined calculated PIDs so that user changes are not overwritten by the next update - which always replaces/overwrites the files containing the EFILive calculated PIDs.
    Any reason why you must use the CALC. prefix? What's wrong with using some other prefix?

Regards
    Paul
    Paul, I think I found my fix. For some reason I had it in my head that V7 calculated PIDs had to have a CALC prefix (probably from following the various guides on here and PDFs, I think they all use CALC). But I think the easy fix for me is to just name all of my calculated PIDs with the USER (or whatever) prefix in calc_pids.txt and that will ensure V7/V8 software is on the same page. V7 scan software doesn't seem to acknowledge any custom defined params other than CALC as (calculated), but that's no biggie.

Thanks for the reply.