Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Overseas OS + Calibrations on USA E98 ECM

Lifetime Member

Default Overseas OS + Calibrations on USA E98 ECM

Has there been any testing with overseas software on the USA ecms? I'm curious to know if it would work, and if it would be the same as an ecm swap? I know the overseas ecms are e98 as well... Are the pinouts the same? Are there any differences in software aside from the obvious emissions stuff that the overseas model doesn't have and won't fault for not having?

It won't work and we restrict the flashing of the non USA Operating system in to the USA ECM because it is very different and will likely cause corruption (much like you can't exchange different year model OS's on many of the gas ECM's).
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Understood... If the ecms are the same level what would be different about the software? Is it not an option to flash overseas software then flash the USA tunes or calibrations over the overseas operating system?

It just can't be done, the overseas ECM's are based on 2014 software, the USA models are 2016 software. You can't flash calibrations from other Operating Systems over a different one.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    It just can't be done, the overseas ECM's are based on 2014 software, the USA models are 2016 software. You can't flash calibrations from other Operating Systems over a different one.
    Maybe flash wasn't the correct term... What I'm looking to do is use over seas software for things that aren't exactly enforced where I live.. That being said... I want to flash the entire OS from overseas and in my experience working at a heavy equipment dealership... I have flashed one controller for multiple engines and it worked because the software within them were both made for the same ecu part number... I will have to compare when I get my truck on delivery, I haven't even gotten my truck yet but I own efilive and can't wait to tear into it... I have an overseas read and I will compare data to the USA version... Then what I wanted to do after the overseas os was written "import" (copy paste) one table at a time from the USA version over the overseas tables... Could you please explain how it wouldn't work? Has it been tested with this specific ecu?
    Last edited by hacklerjason; May 26th, 2016 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hacklerjason View Post
    Maybe flash wasn't the correct term... What I'm looking to do is use over seas software for things that aren't exactly enforced where I live.. That being said... I want to flash the entire OS from overseas and in my experience working at a heavy equipment dealership... I have flashed one controller for multiple engines and it worked because the software within them were both made for the same ecu part number... I will have to compare when I get my truck on delivery, I haven't even gotten my truck yet but I own efilive and can't wait to tear into it... I have an overseas read and I will compare data to the USA version... Then what I wanted to do after the overseas os was written "import" (copy paste) one table at a time from the USA version over the overseas tables... Could you please explain it wouldn't work? Has it been tested with this specific ecu?
    I would think the only chance of making it work (assuming the hardware is the same), is using an MDI and TIS2WEB. There are a handful of controllers where EFILive only flashes several portions of the ECM, but not all....whereas a GM tool flashes everryyything (most of the time?).

Ross would have to answer that though.
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Lifetime Member

If I bought a new ecu over the counter to have on hand just in case, can efilive handle the task of flashing it up out of the box in case I brick my first one? I'm not scared at all I just want to know more about the capabilities before I go and start experimenting.... When the OS and calibrations are read out, can that read out be used to flash a blank controller into service?

Lifetime Member

What are the different partitions of the ecus that would be different

Quote Originally Posted by DURAtotheMAX View Post
    I would think the only chance of making it work (assuming the hardware is the same), is using an MDI and TIS2WEB. There are a handful of controllers where EFILive only flashes several portions of the ECM, but not all....whereas a GM tool flashes everryyything (most of the time?).

Ross would have to answer that though.
    I can tell you what happens because has been done (with TIS). The ECM will become corrupted, the truck won't start and the corruption cannot be reversed, new ECM.....I don't know what else I can add to get the point across.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    I can tell you what happens because has been done (with TIS). The ECM will become corrupted, the truck won't start and the corruption cannot be reversed, new ECM.....I don't know what else I can add to get the point across.
    Could you answer the above question in regards to bricked ecms... Can efi bring into service, a brand new ecm? If I made reads of my stock ecm prior can a new ecm, purchased blank, can efilive flash it into service?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast