Thread: 2016+ LML Factory Programming on a bench harness

Default 2016+ LML Factory Programming on a bench harness

12662677 SN.

For 2016, SPS appears to prevent ECM-only programming. When I tried, SPS tried to locate the TCM, apparently they have to be programmed in the same operation. Has anyone run into this dead end? What was your work-around?

Some ding dong told me also, that a used 2016 ecm could not be programmed to another trucks VIN. I am guessing this was just another dealer tech 2 limitation?

Hopefully there are some folks here who have overcome the new protocol. ACDelco has turned into fort knox. A password change every 2 months is pretty ridiculous.
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

You could try a EFI Connection Bench Harness with a PIGTAIL and then connect a TCM onto the ECM and see if that makes TIS Happy

I do not use TIS2WEB anymore, its such a PITA
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

Quote Originally Posted by GMC-2002-Dmax View Post
    You could try a EFI Connection Bench Harness with a PIGTAIL and then connect a TCM onto the ECM and see if that makes TIS Happy

I do not use TIS2WEB anymore, its such a PITA
    You are probably right Tony, just wanted to see if anyone had done it off-board yet. I agree with you, I don't understand how GM thinks this process deserves all this security. Even their system requirements are now something from another universe.
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available

Its been a long while. But IIRC theres some comms spoofing that needs to be done. Had an arduino setup a few years ago that did it. I think it was TCM and BCM comms? Id honestly have to dig in the archives to remember.
    Josh

'04 GMC LLY
    - L5P, Motech, 6-Spd Conv. ML Trans.
    '05 GMC LLY - 250%, 12mm, 67mm Custom Turbo, 6-Spd Conv. ML Trans
    '19 3500 RAM - Tuned Aisin 0_o

Check out customecm.com, James has build a nice utility to change VIN in almost any GM ECU with a decent quality ELM327 device, i have personally not tried it on E86B
    Thanks,

Matt Derks

www.derkscustomcars.com

EFILive can change the VIN on any GM ECM, that isn't the issue. The issue discussed above is GM's SPS wants to make contact with other vehicle modules before it will program the ECM.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    EFILive can change the VIN on any GM ECM, that isn't the issue. The issue discussed above is GM's SPS wants to make contact with other vehicle modules before it will program the ECM.
    Correct Ross. And this was true beginning in 2011 LML E86, where the BCM needed to be detected. It got worse for 2016 ECM's. So far, have been unable to factory program any USED 2016 ecm using GM. Have had reports from mechanics running into the same problem. And tragically there is presently no supply chain for NEW ...677 ECMs. It must be NEW, and it must be on-board, or on a harness with a TCM and BCM, as best I have concluded so far. A big curve ball and wondering if anyone has found a workaround to be able to use salvage 2016 ECM's.
    Custom Tuning Services

Seems like they are going out of their way to force people into a dealership?
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee View Post
    Correct Ross. And this was true beginning in 2011 LML E86, where the BCM needed to be detected. It got worse for 2016 ECM's. So far, have been unable to factory program any USED 2016 ecm using GM. Have had reports from mechanics running into the same problem. And tragically there is presently no supply chain for NEW ...677 ECMs. It must be NEW, and it must be on-board, or on a harness with a TCM and BCM, as best I have concluded so far. A big curve ball and wondering if anyone has found a workaround to be able to use salvage 2016 ECM's.
    Has anyone made any headway with this?