Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Should I Download to a Later Software Build

Hi Steve,

lol, that is finger-numbing cold...

if PE fueling is safe, look at the 2002 Camaro/Firebird HO/LO spark tables, these are pretty good for street application;

to tune spark advance you would need a large slice of dyno time (find minimum timing that produces almost maximum torque without knock) which may not always be feasible.

Joe,
    First (or firstly), Happy New Year!!!

Thanks for your recommendation on the 2002 Camaro/Firebird Tables. I've looked briefly and the topography is similar, but not the same as what I have now. One thing that I noticed is that the timing tables (mine are not stock but have probably been changed 20+ times) for my truck are too close to the Camaro. I'm running 87 octane and the Camaro was set up for 91-ish octane.

You mention a chassis dyno. I've made several pulls on an inertial dyno about seven years ago. That was an interesting experiment, but doesn't translate much to the real world of daily driving.

Has there ever been a discussion on this forum that you know of that discusses the merits and limitations of an eddy current dyno versus an inertial dyno? There is a world of difference and to do much tuning for a street vehicle, you'd really need access to an eddy current unit.

Steve

Happy New Year

With compression ratio 10 or above, you should really run 91 octane (you're not really saving very much, the difference is $0.20/gal).

Inertial dyno simply allows the engine to pull against the dyno's rotational interia, it cannot hold the engine to a particular RPM.

Eddy-current dyno has the ability to hold/load the engine at a particular RPM, this allows (for example) each cell in the VE table to obtain a sufficient hit count.

You are correct, an eddy-current dyno is required for tuning for driveability (i.e. a street tune).

My current CR is 9.4:1 as my LQ4 engine is the 3/4 ton truck engine. If I ever build the 6.7 L version that I'm planning, the CR will be about 10.0:1.

Steve

Ah, I see... with CR below 9.5 you would have a high resistance to knock, you can probably run a little more timing (maybe an extra 5 to 10 degrees).

I'm back again! I installed my new WB and I've gotten my tune pretty well straightened out. The main two remaining issues are fine tuning the PE a bit and dealing with some knock retard that may be related to the sudden change in air mass rate versus the limits of the burst spark retard table values. I'd like opinions on the knock retard issue. I am thinking about dealing with the burst knock possibility before I pull timing out of the high octane table. I'm attaching my current tune and two log files, one running 87 octane gas and the other running 91 octane gas.
    Attached Files Attached Files

As an aside, here are a few quick pictures of my new PLX AFR installation that I took with my cellphone:

Old PLX AFR that had a failed sensor

New PLX AFR mounted on A Pillar

Remote Unit located below dash to left of steering column

General Layout of Vehicle Workstation and Pillar Mounted Gage

Sometime in the future, I plan to take some better pictures and do a separate thread of the installation process and document the details.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
    I'm back again! I installed my new WB and I've gotten my tune pretty well straightened out. The main two remaining issues are fine tuning the PE a bit and dealing with some knock retard that may be related to the sudden change in air mass rate versus the limits of the burst spark retard table values. I'd like opinions on the knock retard issue. I am thinking about dealing with the burst knock possibility before I pull timing out of the high octane table. I'm attaching my current tune and two log files, one running 87 octane gas and the other running 91 octane gas.
    A few preliminary comments:

- B3618: you should probably set this richer, say EQR 1.165 rather than EQR 1.13.
    - set D0925-7 below D0910-2 (downshift point must always be below upshift point, at least 5mph difference).
    - set D0930-3 below D0915-7.
    - set D0935-7 below D0920-2 (same with any other downshift/upshift MPH pair).
    - D1108-10: set to 100% (to allow the PT tables to work correctly); see When-throttle-kickdown-is-not-set-at-100.
    - D1001, D1004: set to 256mph (do not apply TCC in 2nd)).
    - D1002, D1005: at 80% TP and above, set to 256mph (do not apply TCC above 80% throttle).
    - D1003, D1006: at 80% TP and above, set to 256mph.
    - D0701-3: depending on shift feel, slope up from zero (i.e. no flat areas, raise to 70 psi by 300 ftlb, increase linearly to max).

Steve, post your calc_pids.txt file...

You have a FSV1, right...?
    Last edited by joecar; April 19th, 2015 at 01:29 PM.

I like the neat/tidy PLX installation, and I like the laptop table

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast