Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Autocal bootblock/firmware upgrade bricked the device

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck CoW View Post
    Ok, cool.... Thanks for the heads up. If he has not done this by monday I'll give it a try with him.

Thanks!
    Chuck CoW

Paul.... Seems to be working now. I loaded the CONFIG myself and it appeared to work fine....But it would not log data.

I have found with a few customers that "FORMATTING THE CONFIG SYS" and re-loading the config from scratch seems to help with

"strange" problems.

What are the rules of firmware updating or config updating and why is it sometimes necessary to format the config and other times

it just as simple as updating or programming the config?

Thanks
    Chuck CoW
    CoW BOOSTER! Electronic Throttle Enhancement.

- CLICK HERE NOW FOR MORE INFORMATION! -

VARARAM, EDELBROCK, AMERICAN RACING HEADERS, BAER BRAKES, BORLA, EFI Live, Magnuson,
    COMP Cams, PROCHARGER, PRO TORQUE, PHADT Racing, INNOVATORS WEST, and more.

I always format the config system after a firmware change, never had a problem so far...

I almost never had to do it and I've got LOTS of autocals in the field...

Maybe we can have Paul make the new BBX software automatically format the config every time

just prior to flashing it???? It does not take any time and maybe it will make the whole autocal process

less of a headache.

Chuck CoW

VARARAM, EDELBROCK, AMERICAN RACING HEADERS, BAER BRAKES, BORLA, EFI Live, Magnuson,

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck CoW View Post
    Paul.... Seems to be working now. I loaded the CONFIG myself and it appeared to work fine....But it would not log data.

I have found with a few customers that "FORMATTING THE CONFIG SYS" and re-loading the config from scratch seems to help with

"strange" problems.

What are the rules of firmware updating or config updating and why is it sometimes necessary to format the config and other times

it just as simple as updating or programming the config?

Thanks
    Chuck CoW
    There are no "rules" except that ALL the files on the device in the [CONFIG] folder must be the latest versions that are released with the software. The [Check Firmware] button in the main V8 SCan and Tune software window, now checks the dates of the config files on the device and alerts you to any that are out of date with respect to the files installed on your PC. That "alert" relies on the device's date being correct, if the date on the device is incorrect then the file date validation will most likely not work.

To always be absolutely 100% sure you have the latest files on the device, do what you did and reformat the device and then use the [F5: BBX] option to re-copy all the required files. Also in the BBX window the [Program] button has a number of drop down options. One of which is "copy all files", that will overwrite all files on the device regardless of their date/time stamps and should work just as well as a re-format/copy procedure. The only difference being if there are any old files on the device that have not been selected in the BBX option and therefor won't be overwritten with newer versions, then those old files won't be removed from the device.

Hint: When setting up an AutoCal, you should always uncheck all the DTC files, they just take up room and are not used by AutoCal (only by FlashScan). A future update will be made that does not copy those files to the AutoCal device.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Can we change the "program" button to something like you said or make it format config before writing?

The customer service time required to admin the autocals is horrendous as people are not "intuitive" like us

computer guys are and there are just too many ways they can go wrong.

This device needs some idiot-proofing because not everyone that wants their vehicle tuned needs to know the

ins and outs of this tool. While it's a fantastic device that can do just about anything you need, it's way more

complicated for the end user (and us poor customer service / resellers) than it should be.

I'd love to have a talk with you about some ways to simplify this whole autocal process.

Chuck CoW

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

[QUOTE=Chuck CoW;200456I'd love to have a talk with you about some ways to simplify this whole autocal process.Chuck CoW[/QUOTE]

The latest release has an updated [Check Firmware] button in the V8 software. That button will allow the user to check and update the firmware and all the config files in a single place with only 3 button clicks.
    What else do you think needs to be simplified?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	check_firmware.png 
Views:	246 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	16195

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    . . .

That button will allow the user to check and update the firmware and all the config files in a single place with only 3 button clicks.
    . . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	check_firmware.png 
Views:	246 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	16195

Regards
    Paul
    This is very helpful, saves a lot of time, is so simple it can't be messed up, and is easy to explain to people

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234