Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beta Test Release #1 (Feb 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    No, the target ECM does not need to be licensed. However to flash back in a valid calibration the ECM will need to be licensed.
    Once the key is found the ECM is cal-erased and left in a dead-poll and unlocked state.
    The ECM must then be cal-flashed with whatever file is compatible with the controller's OS or full-flashed with whatever file is compatible with the controller hardware/boot block.

The tune that is loaded while performing the unlock does not need to be compatible with the target controller as it is not flashed into the controller. But it is a good idea to have a valid tune file ready to flash back in once it has been unlocked/erased - otherwise the ECM will be non-function without a calibration in it.

Regards
    Paul

That makes a lot more sense now. As i was wondering how you would get around flashing over say a locked custom os hpt tune.

I assumed that it would be on the read side that we would be trying to find the unlock code. not on the flash.

The program i use was written by a local guy here in Perth which uses an old ELM cable, so it's purely to find the code so i can reset back to stock and flash over.

Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post
    The program i use was written by a local guy here in Perth which uses an old ELM cable, so it's purely to find the code so i can reset back to stock and flash over.
    So Unlock My ECU (UME) by Envyous Customs? Lucky the world is so honest and people wouldn't use that to find the Key and unlock with tuning software That is like not holding a locksmith to blame when burglars enter via the front door with a key.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Yeah same guy, just an earlier version of that software.

Most (90%) of the unlocks I do are for other people\shops who do not lock ecu's after tuning & are generally further modifying, So they are not going to be interested in keeping what was already in the ecu. The only exception to that was just recently when the owner of a car has had multiple engine failures with the original builder/tuner & they have gone elsewhere, new shop has requested a copy of the original "tune" along with a stock calibration flash to start over with.

I'll have to give the efi unlock strategy a go on the next one, it might save me some time.

I do appreciate the new features.

No, the target ECM does not need to be licensed. However to flash back in a valid calibration the ECM will need to be licensed.
    Once the key is found the ECM is cal-erased and left in a dead-poll and unlocked state.
    The ECM must then be cal-flashed with whatever file is compatible with the controller's OS or full-flashed with whatever file is compatible with the controller hardware/boot block.

The tune that is loaded while performing the unlock does not need to be compatible with the target controller as it is not flashed into the controller. But it is a good idea to have a valid tune file ready to flash back in once it has been unlocked/erased - otherwise the ECM will be non-function without a calibration in it.

Regards
    Paul
    Thank You for the explanation, so in the case of an LB7 DSP5, the ecm is erased but not the bootloader ???, but the CAL is now missing, so a simple cal flash of a LB7 ecm will restore the controller even if it was a DSP5 prior to unlocking ?

Just looking to have the correct procedure for the LB7 and LLY when a DSP5 is the current LOCKED/Calibration, I know its an EFI-LIVE custom OS and its written to the ecm all in the same place, so I assume that just a CAL flash writes everything needed to correct the ecm after unlocking ?

This is a great tool !!

Thanks for spending the time to build it for us !!!
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

Quote Originally Posted by GMC-2002-Dmax View Post
    Thank You for the explanation, so in the case of an LB7 DSP5, the ecm is erased but not the bootloader ???, but the CAL is now missing, so a simple cal flash of a LB7 ecm will restore the controller even if it was a DSP5 prior to unlocking ?
    Not quite, the LB7 ECM suffers the same design constraints as the LS1 PCM where there is no bootblock in the ECM, so when a full flash is done the entire flash has to be erased (dangerous). What Paul is saying is that in the case of the unlock it doesn't matter what file you have loaded ready to flash in it doesn't get written therefore no compatibility issues exist.

If you are wanting to go from a DSP back to a regular GM OS then you have to full flash the GM OS in once the ECM is unlocked.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GMC-2002-Dmax View Post
    Yes.

The cal is erased but the OS is left fully operational. For VPW based controllers (LSB1, LB7, LLY) you should see the orange LED second from the right on FlashScan flashing at 4 times per second indicating that the OS is polling for a scan tool to program the missing calibrations.

Once the ECM has been cal-erased and left in dead-poll it only requires a cal-flash to restore it regardless of whether it has a DSP5 or stock OS.

And as Ross was pointing out the tune file that is loaded while searching the key range is not automatically flashed into the ECM so it doesn't matter what file you have loaded while doing the key range search, other than it must be the same controller type as the target controller. Once the key has been found and the ECM has been cal-erased you will need to cal-flash a file that has the same OS as the OS that remains in the controller. Or full-flash it with some other OS that is compatible with the ECM hardware.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Once the ECM has been cal-erased and left in dead-poll it only requires a cal-flash to restore it regardless of whether it has a DSP5 or stock OS.
    That reads confusing which is why I think the question was asked.
    Yes it matters that you have the correct file ready to cal flash, in other words no you cannot cal flash a stock OS tune in to a DSP tune to restore it once it is unlocked, the same compatibility rules apply there.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    That reads confusing which is why I think the question was asked.
    Yes it matters that you have the correct file ready to cal flash, in other words no you cannot cal flash a stock OS tune in to a DSP tune to restore it once it is unlocked, the same compatibility rules apply there.
    So if I load a DSP-BASE OS, meaning just a EFI-Live Converted DSP5 OS for either LB7 or LLY, initiate the UNLOCK Program, once the KEY if found and the CAL erased, then a simple DSP5 matching CAL FLASH will make the ecm happy again ?

Then I am free to load a new STOCK or DSP5 in using Program FULL ?

Thanks Again
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    so when a full flash is done the entire flash has to be erased (dangerous).

Well actually everything after 0x8000... All the flash before that isnt touched (I.E. The "Bootblock" and Key-Off Memory)
    Josh

'04 GMC LLY
    - L5P, Motech, 6-Spd Conv. ML Trans.
    '05 GMC LLY - 250%, 12mm, 67mm Custom Turbo, 6-Spd Conv. ML Trans
    '19 3500 RAM - Tuned Aisin 0_o

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chavez91 View Post
    Well actually everything after 0x8000... All the flash before that isnt touched (I.E. The "Bootblock" and Key-Off Memory)
    Just to clarify, on the LLY E60 controller the boot block and NVRAM are not erased.
    However a full flash on the LB7 E54 controller erases all data from 0x0000, including NVRAM.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast