Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Linux Developers?

I am not a developer by any means , but would love to learn MONO and porting Windows Software to Linux .
    With MONO all that is needed is source code for porting .
    Would love to see a Linux EFILive Distro , a small desktop OS just for EFILive , with EFILive theme and Icons .

Gil
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Here is a cool thing SuSE is doing and this is why I said a EFILive Distro is not a pipe dream it could be done easily :http://cornelius-schumacher.de/marbleinabox.html
    SuSE Studio , allows a customized OS down loadable ISO image , try that with Win7 .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Forgot link to SuSE Studio : http://susestudio.com/
    If someone is interested they can use my invite .
    2006 Trailblazer

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    The EFILive_Hapi interface specifications will be available for third party's to code against on Windows platforms (as soon as I get time to document it). That API will provide access to the FlashScan and AutoCal devices and allow you to write your own scan tool software.

If you want to get a head start, you can see/study the messages sent to/from the EFILive_Hapi application in the "Trace" section.

Regards
    Paul

Let's see how it goes.

Glad to see there is some thought being given to the linux (open source?) world!

I'd love to do some development, but unless you want it written in perl, I'm probably not your guy. I've got a fair bit of experience with a few different distro's though. I'd be open to testing!
    '05 LLY, 6" lift, 35" Toyo's, Escalade Diamond Perl, Aurora 3000 turbo, Cognito braces, MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust

I keep hinting , I really don't want the source code (I know it probably scares someone when that is brought up) , I know that that is the heart of the software , but I keep showing how MONO could be used to port to Linux .
    2006 Trailblazer

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    I keep hinting , I really don't want the source code (I know it probably scares someone when that is brought up) , I know that that is the heart of the software , but I keep showing how MONO could be used to port to Linux .
    Wouldn't Mono only be useful if EFILive was developed on the .NET framework? EFILive is written in Delphi. There was a Linux version of Delphi called Kylix but we have not gone down that path as it seems Embacadero are not planning on supporting it.

Long term, I'd rather see EFILive re-written Linux in C.

regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    Wouldn't Mono only be useful if EFILive was developed on the .NET framework? EFILive is written in Delphi. There was a Linux version of Delphi called Kylix but we have not gone down that path as it seems Embacadero are not planning on supporting it.

Long term, I'd rather see EFILive re-written Linux in C.

regards
    Paul
    Linux has GNU , GCC C/C++ compilers built in .
    Ah , I see about Delphi , did some looking , sucks .
    What about Pascal ? http://www.freepascal.org/
    Don't know why I thought EFILive was .NET .
    2006 Trailblazer

Paul,

Have you seen git the distributed version control system...?

I have been using git for the past 6+ months for version control in my driver/kernel projects and for other user space app projects...

It was a little daunting at first in a multi-developer environment (locally at work with my 15+ linux driver peers, and publically with the linux kernel community)... but I found it to be very powerful... its strengths are in its ability to do branching, merging and rebasing (this really blows me away).

When debugging my driver, I create a new branch, I do my edits/compiles/tests/commits... then I merge this branch back into my local branch for this driver (I have separate branches for the various drivers)... then if my peers made intermediate changes, I pull their changes from their trees into mine, I rebase my changes on theirs, and now I have mine/everyone's changes... all done with a few simple command lines.

I'm sure that for a smaller developer headcount, git would be very easy/quick to learn/apply.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Paul,

Have you seen git the distributed version control system...?

I have been using git for the past 6+ months for version control in my driver/kernel projects and for other user space app projects...

It was a little daunting at first in a multi-developer environment (locally at work with my 15+ linux driver peers, and publically with the linux kernel community)... but I found it to be very powerful... its strengths are in its ability to do branching, merging and rebasing (this really blows me away).

When debugging my driver, I create a new branch, I do my edits/compiles/tests/commits... then I merge this branch back into my local branch for this driver (I have separate branches for the various drivers)... then if my peers made intermediate changes, I pull their changes from their trees into mine, I rebase my changes on theirs, and now I have mine/everyone's changes... all done with a few simple command lines.

I'm sure that for a smaller developer headcount, git would be very easy/quick to learn/apply.
    I've not used git, but I used sccs and cvs back when I was developing on UNIX. I do like version control systems and I will be moving the V8 code into some form of version control before too long.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast