Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used AutoCal ..newbie.

Question Used AutoCal ..newbie.

So I brought a used AutoCal. I'll be using the same tuner to buy my tune (and send my logs to). So support should be fine
    as well as linking the unit to a tuner.

I think with buying used I saved some money but complicated things. I have some newbie questions
    until I receive the AutoCal then tune and hopefully some support from the tuner.

As I understand it the AutoCal has the original owner's VIN licensed to it forever?

I should be able to read my car as the second VIN on the AutoCal? Or do I need to purchase a VIN license to tune
    my ecm+tcm?

My car would then be Read 2 on the menu (the original owner is Read 1 forever) ?

My stock ECM and TCM tune would then be what option on the menu to flash back ?

Can I erase all the tunes on the unit including the original owner's stock one to simplify things?

Thanks.. Sorry for all the newbie questions.

Lifetime Member

Licensing and AutoCal setup tune/log/read ordering are independent.

You can license a controller, then remove all tune files from the device and change the tune order to suit you. If you wan to re-tune that originally licensed controller, just reinstall the tunes. Removing tune files does not affect the license - that controller remains licensed.

You or your tuner should remove the tune files for the originally tuned vehicle, and setup the device for your vehicle. Your vehicle can be Read 1, and the tune files on the device just for your vehicle. The order and menu will be dependent on the setup and security selections.

You (or your tuner) will need to purchase a VIN license to tune your vehicle given licenses cannot be recycled - once a controller is licensed it's licensed and cannot be reclaimed.

If your vehicle is the same as the original AutoCal owners, you will need to discuss tune file security with your tuner. Depending on the permission they added to the original owners tune files you may not have permission to share those tunes with your vehicle.

Cheers
    Cindy

Thanks...so my tuner cannot just send me new tunes. .I need to purchase a vin license as well as the tunes?

Somehow I don't think I saved any money then...we'll see.

I guess I don't understand the utility of the Autocal then..it seems like it's tied to one VIN/car forever. What if one buys a second car and wants to use the same tuner and autocal? One needs to purchase a VIN license as well as tunes?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by rminnj View Post
    Thanks...so my tuner cannot just send me new tunes. .I need to purchase a vin license as well as the tunes?

Somehow I don't think I saved any money then...we'll see.

I guess I don't understand the utility of the Autocal then..it seems like it's tied to one VIN/car forever. What if one buys a second car and wants to use the same tuner and autocal? One needs to purchase a VIN license as well as tunes?
    EFILive is not a single vehicle product like a traditional handheld. It's designed to allow multiple vehicles to be tuned at the same time. Because of that 'returning to stock' does not free up the VIN license. Each controller needs to be licensed.

Your tuner will need to send you tunes, and you'll need to go through the licensing process during the first flash of your ECM and the first flash of your TCM. Note: One license purchase allows you to tune 1 ECM and 1 TCM , but the actual flash process requires you to assign that license on each controller during the initial flash.

AutoCal can tune up to 8 vehicles per device. The first license is included on the AutoCal when it ships from our facility to the tuner.
    FlashScan V2 can tune up to 221 vehicles per device. Two licenses are included with each tuning option (GM tuning and Cummins Tuning)

Cheers
    Cindy

Ok.. i have the AutoCal.. I loaded up the V8 software.. it sees the AutoCal and allows me to update firmware etc.

I found the EFILive Explorer software.. It sees the 2 tunes on the unit..

Let me see if there is a way to erase the tunes that are on this used unit.

Still I think I may need a VIN License ?
    Last edited by rminnj; September 11th, 2016 at 05:53 AM.

Lifetime Member

Your tuner should provide you with instructions on how use AutoCal given the configuration options available.

This knowledge base article will show you how to move tune and other files to/from AutoCal. https://support.efilive.com/kb_artic...9562-EUAF-6679

This will assist you in determining you licenses used/available. https://support.efilive.com/kb_artic...9817-YALX-6546

The AutoCal for End Users guide may also be of assistance to you. http://content.efilive.com/documents...nd%20Users.pdf

Cheers
    Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Thanks.. yes I will contact my tuner.

It doesn't seem like it will work...

Under in Licensing/VIN Licenses tab it says:
    Installed 1 of 8
    Used: 1 Available 0

Under Licensing VINS:

License #1 Engine 14xxxxxxxx Transmission: Available

Lifetime Member

AutoCal license capacity is 8, you've used one. To use the AutoCal to tune your vehicle you'll need to buy a vin license and depending on the tune file security restrictions previously used purchase tunes too.

Cheers
    Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

That's just great. So there is no way I can dissociate from the first VIN?

I did buy a tune from my tuner but I don't if it includes a VIN license.. So in addition to the AutoCal, and the Tune I now need to also purchase VIN license?

Lifetime Member

That's just great. So there is no way I can dissociate from the first VIN?
    You can't dissociate a VIN from an AutoCal - EFILive and AutoCal was never designed to allow that. It's designed to allow multiple vehicles to be tuned at the same time. Because of that 'returning to stock' does not free up the VIN license (actually the software doesn't differentiate between a stock or modified tune anyway). Each controller needs to be licensed.

I did buy a tune from my tuner but I don't if it includes a VIN license.. So in addition to the AutoCal, and the Tune I now need to also purchase VIN license?
    That's something you and your tuner need to discuss - I don't know what you bought, or what your tuner sent you. This is a discussion you really need to have with your tuner given you've purchased his handheld device, not an EFILive tuning product. Your tuner can/has/will customize the AutoCal to suit his business/your needs, and given the number of different configurable options, he needs to provide you with support.

If he did send you a license, you'll have an activation code and instructions similar to this

EFILive Order Number: 123123
    EFILive AutoCal Serial Number: 005000012312
    Activation Code: 01230ABC
    Number of VIN Licenses Purchased: 1
    Total License Number: 2

To update your AutoCal cable with the new activation code:
    1. Connect your AutoCal cable to your PC or laptop.
    2. Start the EFILive V8 Scan and Tune application.
    3. Click the [F7: Licenses] button in the left-hand pane.
    4. Click the [F3: VINs] button in the left-hand pane.
    5. Enter the 02513C6B (Activation Code) in the Activation Code: field.
    6. Enter 2 (Total License Number) in the License Number: field.
    7. Click the [Activate VIN License] button.

It's apparent you purchased something second hand without really understanding the capabilities and requirements of actually using it. In many cases if a tuner applies tune file security, requiring you to buy new tunes plus the cost of a VIN license the second hand AutoCal needs to be really cheap to prevent the total cost being in excess of a new unit. It's really a case of buyer beware - the only cost EFILive controls is the VIN license cost - the second hand price of the AutoCal and the value the tuner places on his work is not something we control.

Cheers
    Cindy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast