Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: RoadRunner guts kit?

Quote Originally Posted by s10mods View Post
    IT WORKS!!!!!!!! I just have to give props to John from TC, I sent him an e-mail and I had a response within 12 hrs with the fix, I had an old version of the RR program was my problem. any time I have ever had a question he always responds way faster than anybody i have ever delt with. Thank you John
    Awesome!! Glad to hear it.

I guess the obvious question for ross or paul then is are they willing to let efilive users have the same functionality with thier RR's as TC users by removing the serial check feature or giving people a way to work around it?
    It's all good until it goes "Bang"

It's got nothing to do with the serial check, EFILive Tune has no idea what a 3800 V6 PCM file is. You can't just load a file in to some software and it just works!, EFILive needs to be understand the file layout of the V6 PCM, it needs to know map locations and layouts, at present none of this is defined in the software. If it was a 2 day job we would have done it a long time ago, unfortunately it is not.

RR should work on the 4cyl PCM though as the Tune software recognises those files.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    It's got nothing to do with the serial check, EFILive Tune has no idea what a 3800 V6 PCM file is. You can't just load a file in to some software and it just works!, EFILive needs to be understand the file layout of the V6 PCM, it needs to know map locations and layouts, at present none of this is defined in the software. If it was a 2 day job we would have done it a long time ago, unfortunately it is not.

RR should work on the 4cyl PCM though as the Tune software recognises those files.

Cheers,
    Ross
    Ross, John and Joe are tuning their RoadRunner with TunerCATS. TunerCATS and the RR use a different operating system than EFI Live and the RoadRunner and so basically you cannot tune with TC and then try to read with EFI Live. When you switch between the two softwares, it erases your RoadRunner completely.

Just so everybody is in the loop here. Joe, John and myself all own EFI Live and TunerCATS. We all started with TunerCATS because we didn't know whether to pick HorsePowerTuners, EFI Live, or if another product on the market had any advantage (Hypertech, Superchips, LT1Edit) or just forking out $10K for the GM stuff would be our best bet. We discussed this in a forum post for ages.

TunerCATS allowed us to program unlimited PCM's (for playing and learning) and had a very attractive price tag. A few hundred dollars and then you buy Definitions for more cars if you need them, rather than one license per car as EFI Live and others seem to do. EFI Live is also about $800 to get started with. The entry in can be steep. Remember, I'm only 27 today. I was much younger and much poorer back then.

So a bunch of us got into the Group Buy and bought TunerCATS. We are glad we did because it was only offered a short while. Less than a year I think but not sure.

After using TC and seeing screenshots of the updates to EFI Live and the other software, we all decided that while it had its benefit other software (with that higher price tag) was worth the extra money it cost.

So a bunch of guys bought EFI Live and I followed soon thereafter (when I got an extra $800, phew). TC has advantages, and so does EFI Live. EFI Live is an awesome product, as is TC. Support for TC is slower and less but still there. Support for EFI Live, well, you know the deal so far! Excellent! I guess with EFI Live you are paying for updates and support with your $800 and it does show.

Have I gotten my $800 worth? CERTAINLY! Commercial Scan and Tune was the best investment so far. Still have one license left I haven't used.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth97 View Post
    When you switch between the two softwares, it erases your RoadRunner completely.
    Right, now I see the problem, well, I don't really know what is going on but I 'get it'.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post

Cheers,
    Ross
    Ross, I think the question was to give the ablilty to flash any tune supported by EFILive in to your licensed RR unit weather it is licensed as a 512K or 1024K, I could not flash a 1024K file in my "512K" RR, EFILive told me that my RR was a 512K and that the file was not compatible..
    Last edited by s10mods; March 16th, 2009 at 01:36 AM. Reason: wrong Quote

Quote Originally Posted by s10mods View Post
    Ross, I think the question was to give the ablilty to flash any tune supported by EFILive in to your licensed RR unit weather it is licensed as a 512K or 1024K, I could not flash a 1024K file in my "512K" RR, EFILive told me that my RR was a 512K and that the file was not compatible..
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Moates View Post
    Keep in mind that uploading a file into a RR that is installed into a DIFFERENT type PCM than what the file is intended to be functional within has no hope of working.
    post #70
    512k RoadRunner Firmware 12.14R
    FlashScan V2 Bootblock V2.07.04 Firmware V2.07.22 EFILive V7.5.7 (Build 191) V8.2.1 (Build 181)
    LC-1 WBO2

Quote Originally Posted by mr.prick View Post

you dont understand, What is being said in that post is that you cannot flash a 1024K file in a RR that is installed in a 512K pcm and have it work. The RR will accept any file, it is assumed that the RR will be installed in the correct pcm for which the file is intended. I now have a 717 pcm running a RR, I also have a 242 pcm that is setup to install the RR. what we are saying is it would be nice to be able to flash any supported EFILive file in to a RR, but it is locked to the file that you originally purchased it for. IE if you bought a 1024K RR you can only flash 1024K files to it with with EFILive, if you bought a 512K RR then you can only flash a 512K file to it with EFILive. I can use TC with the 411, the 717, and the 242 all with the same RR, not locked.

I might be wrong here as I am only going off memory, but at some stage Craig might have had 2 x RR types for the LS1, 512K & 1Mb, obviously programming a 1Mb file in to a RR 512K PCM would result in problems, and vica versa.
    It sounds like we have some sanity checks involved more than a money grab exercise forcing you to purchase both types.

Cheers,
    Ross

How different are the LLY, E40, E38 and similar ECM's from the PCM's that the RR currently works in, electricly? I know the above ECM's have a "Fitment issue" with regards to the RR, but if one got brave and took apart one of the ECM's, would a RR "Guts Kit" work with one from an electrical standpoint? How about the LBZ/LMM? They're 2MB, IIRC, but if the RR was upgraded to support 2MB ECMs, would it work with a LBZ or LMM ECM?
    Last edited by Cougar281; March 16th, 2009 at 01:26 PM.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast