Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Linux Developers?

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    Since you are a knowledgeable person have you tired to get EFILive running in a Distro yourself ?
    If so can you do a tutorial on it ?
    I mean with Emulation (WINE) .
    Not under WINE, but did post a while back on running it in a virt here
    http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....on-Linux/page2

Sorry not a WINE guy and really not a x-over person with Windows and Linux. I usually work in one or the other and don't try to make them play together.

Quote Originally Posted by mxracer View Post
    Not under WINE, but did post a while back on running it in a virt here
    http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....on-Linux/page2

Sorry not a WINE guy and really not a x-over person with Windows and Linux. I usually work in one or the other and don't try to make them play together.
    That's not Linux bro , it is still Winders running in Linux (playing together) .
    Just about anyone can get a Winders Install to run in a virt , no big deal there .
    Oh well , just hoping for more .
    I am not a programmer , I am proficient at Linux use .
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    That's not Linux bro , it is still Winders running in Linux (playing together) .
    Just about anyone can get a Winders Install to run in a virt , no big deal there .
    Oh well , just hoping for more .
    I am not a programmer , I am proficient at Linux use .
    Yup.. that's what I wrote in the original thread.

If we get some info/guidance from Paul I think we could make a port happen.

Man you would be my HERO if you did .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Just a reminder, with a particular emphasis on WINE.

You can get the applications to run OK under WINE. I've had both Scan and Tune working to edit calibrations as save them again. What you can't do is talk to the V2 as the windows USB drivers will not interface with the Linux OS to give you access to the V2. The drivers need to be Linux native, not emulated as that is where the real hardware connection exists.

The thing is though, you don't always need access to the USB port. Now that BBL and BBR are working so well, you can read a log from the SD card under Linux, make changes to the calibrations using WINE and then write back to the SD card and flash the new tune using BBR. Sure it's not a "true" Linux application, but it does work quite well.

Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by swingtan View Post
    Just a reminder, with a particular emphasis on WINE.

You can get the applications to run OK under WINE. I've had both Scan and Tune working to edit calibrations as save them again. What you can't do is talk to the V2 as the windows USB drivers will not interface with the Linux OS to give you access to the V2. The drivers need to be Linux native, not emulated as that is where the real hardware connection exists.

The thing is though, you don't always need access to the USB port. Now that BBL and BBR are working so well, you can read a log from the SD card under Linux, make changes to the calibrations using WINE and then write back to the SD card and flash the new tune using BBR. Sure it's not a "true" Linux application, but it does work quite well.

Simon.
    That is true Simon (SD card) , in WINE EFILive does react well , and the USB application is the show stopper .
    Was waiting for New EFILive Release to get out of Beta and try again .
    2006 Trailblazer

The only reason the USB is a show stopper ATM is that you "have" to use the USB connection to populate the "config" filesystem in the V2.

If say, there was another directory on the SD card, maybe called "config" and if the V2 had the ability under setup to...
    1. Backup the current config filesystem to a new directory on the SD card. IE. /EFLive/config/1 (number would increment if the directory already existed).
    2. Format the config filesystem.
    3. Copy the contents of /EFILive/config/N back to the config filesystem

*nudge*nudge*

there would be very little need for the USB connection at all, unless you wanted to do real-time displaying on the laptop (which I know many need). However, many others don't need to do that. the only time I usually do real-time laptop displays if if someone drops round with a problem. So there is still a need for the USB driver, but the SD card - config option would be very nice.

Simon

I bet it has something to do with the way the V2 is driven , it has a old Serial (data speed) port converted to USB with the FTDI chip .
    I once had it report the V2 as a Scanner , the problem is as you stated Simon , where the software looks for the driver , funny the driver folder is there in WINE and the driver is within , but it does not see it .
    Hmm , the config thing would work .
    What about , firmware and boot block updates as well ?
    2006 Trailblazer

It's going to be hard to implement firmware and boot-block from the SD card without a big rewrite (I think). Currently there would be code to allow the FW and BB to be transfered over the USB link, so it would need to be rewritten to support the SD card filesystem. That means I/O support for the SD card controller as well as filesystem structures. It's not impossible, as many out devices will do at least firmware updates from a memory card (Canon cameras for one).

Simon.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swingtan View Post
    It's going to be hard to implement firmware and boot-block from the SD card without a big rewrite (I think). Currently there would be code to allow the FW and BB to be transfered over the USB link, so it would need to be rewritten to support the SD card filesystem. That means I/O support for the SD card controller as well as filesystem structures. It's not impossible, as many out devices will do at least firmware updates from a memory card (Canon cameras for one).

Simon.
    Correct. It will never be possible to do firmware upgrades via the SD Card. The SD Card interface code and the FAT file system code is part of the firmware and is not available for execution while the firmware is being updated.
    The USB comms is part of the boot block and operates independently of the firmware so USB comms is available while the firmware is being updated.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast