View Poll Results: Would you buy a car that can't be tuned?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • No way, I'll buy another make instead.

44 100.00%
  • Yes, because 100% stock is good enough for me.

0 0%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: GM owns your cars software, don't fiddle!

I'll just keep my old GM that can be tuned. I hate that everything in your vehicle knows what every other thing is doing all the time. I'll stick with my LS1B and E38's controllers.

Quote Originally Posted by s10mods View Post
    I'll just keep my old GM that can be tuned. I hate that everything in your vehicle knows what every other thing is doing all the time. I'll stick with my LS1B and E38's controllers.
    +1.

With emissions not a concern- its amazing how much more fun my Honda mt6 is to drive, GM can keep their products.

We are going Restomod with as little electronics as possible. Maybe a FAST system at most. Like the old stuff, with new touches.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Check out DynamicEFI

GM Didn't own the base calibrations for Quadrajets, why would EFI coding be any different?

GM owns the original software. If you purchase an unchanged program or software update by or from GM, that is totally legal,if you alter that yourself then flash over anything in an ECU, then that becomes yours. If you sell that, it would be illegal at that point. This is what the DMCA states, which is a copyright act.
    right act.

Lifetime Member

Is there any updates on this? I can't find where any rulings were made. I know with all the do gooders demanding self driving cars and security and people suing people and Teslas killing people and all that its a very sad day for learning about these things and tinkering and modifying. Its also really hard to figure out what manufactures are running what controllers, I always thought GM was the most tuning friendly so I always supported them, but now it appears I made the wrong decision. My friend has a z4 that got struck by lightening and he had to replace a lot of the modules and I was so surprised by how much support and ability he has to easily modify and reflash especially with BCM and chassis functioning, which appears with GM stuff we have zero support for only ECM powertrain stuff.

I just want to make sure I'm not supporting GM if they are going to be doing stuff like this and support a manufacture who has more open controllers. I understand they are probably under pressure from regulators and they seem to also have a strong driverless car agenda which obviously requires locking down. Its funny how much GM puts into their aftermarket performance division with crate motors and aftermarket "performance" parts that obviously required revised calibrations, then they say no tuning allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
    I just want to make sure I'm not supporting GM if they are going to be doing stuff like this and support a manufacture who has more open controllers. I understand they are probably under pressure from regulators and they seem to also have a strong driverless car agenda which obviously requires locking down. Its funny how much GM puts into their aftermarket performance division with crate motors and aftermarket "performance" parts that obviously required revised calibrations, then they say no tuning allowed.
    I don't think any OEM's want their controllers messed with, it is just with the push for automated driving (not sure who is pushing it but it's happening) they have to secure them really tight. GM is very much about automated driving in the future that is why it would appear for the moment they are out in the lead as far as locking out tuners.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

They're currently redoing their entire system. What it'll look like I'm not sure.

Likely segregated CAN-FD busses (plural). Gateway module will stand between OBD2 and the other busses and will be connected by a single line. The gateway will only allow the absolute min. If they don't ditch SWCAN it'll be secluded to the gateway as well.

Most likely they are going to roll Ethernet. That will probably be a second connector hiding behind the trim or something. They may also run the wires to the obd2 but I somewhat doubt it.

And that's not even getting into if they'll do something silly like randomzing check engine codes to be VIN specific and you need a dealer tool to get them. Let alone doing a flash.

Only saving grace was some recently passed EU laws but the EU hasn't been taken seriously lately.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast