Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Help, I either need new engine or new knowledge!

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    My understanding is that the PCM uses the richest AFR (or EQ) from all tables that are currently active...

i.e. when PE is enabled, then the richer of B3605 or B3618 regardless of 4000 rpm.

Is the 4000 rpm from B0120...? B0120 sets the thresold between MAF/VE or MAF only operation for calculating cylinder airmass, and is not related to commanded AFR.

Thanks Joecar..

I knew I was close, but now I get it.
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Ok, big difference... what did you do...?

Yes, go a little richer as suggested above.
    see post #54, if you want the detail, I posted screenshots comparing old and new values even higher up the thread, and of course the end tune was just posted up.

If you see anything scary, please feel free to say so.

Ken . . .

Default Oil Burn and Clank.

[QUOTE=kwhiteside;109540
    My car has always made a very loud clank at the track occasionally. If you watch the video above, it actually happened on all 3 laps. After the straight, there is a sweeping left (turn 3), then a pretty sharp right (turn 4). The clank happens in turn 4 each time after shifting the weight from once side, to the opposite.

The Clank: Check and Lube the axle splines where they slide into the hubs. The corvetteforum.com has info on the fix.

Oil Burn: my 55,000 mile engine burns One Quart of MobileOne 5W30 per 1000 miles. RedLine 5W30 is 1/2 that. Amzoil 0W5 at the end of a 2500 mile trip was zero, I couldn't read it on the dip stick. I hate paying the price for Amzoil, I did the dealer thing just for my own use and after paying the fee, it might be cheaper to get from someone else. I can say that so far, I'm impressed.

You can't trust what you read on the web but my comments are based on 1000 mile one day interstate trips and WFO everytime I leave a rest stop. At my age, lots of rest stops. I rev it to 6000 when I'm just playing.

I have a catch can and it's always dry. I did one DE at VIR on RedLine with track temperatures of 120* and used one quart for the day. I filled to 1 qt above the full line.

With the know ring problem, maybe a change to a different oil may help reduce [B]some [/B]of your oil consumption.

Cheers, Curt
    99C5, mn6, Vortec T trim, Snow meth injection, AFR 205s, ARP studs,Comp 224*112*+2*.580", YellaTerra RRs, PRC Ti's w/dbls, Supermaxx LTs, No Cats, Corsa Indys, LS6Intk, Hurst, Fikse Aro18"s. Pilot Sports 315/30,265/35, 04ZO6 Shocks Hotchkis bars, EBC YellowStuff pads, SS hoses, LM-1, EFILive, 2002 OS. RPS dual disc Clutch, DTE Strut Brace & output shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by curtbriggs View Post
    The Clank: Check and Lube the axle splines where they slide into the hubs. The corvetteforum.com has info on the fix.
    Curt, you may have nailed it. I've been leaking some grease onto the inside of my rims from my axle seals this season and plan on replacing the whole axle shafts/seals this winter. I never imagined that could be the clank. Man that would be great if that makes the clank go away!

Quote Originally Posted by curtbriggs View Post
    Oil Burn: my 55,000 mile engine burns One Quart of MobileOne 5W30 per 1000 miles. RedLine 5W30 is 1/2 that. Amzoil 0W5 at the end of a 2500 mile trip was zero, I couldn't read it on the dip stick. I hate paying the price for Amzoil, I did the dealer thing just for my own use and after paying the fee, it might be cheaper to get from someone else. I can say that so far, I'm impressed.
    I've played a lot with oils. You might have guessed that a guy with oil problems would explore that. Started with Amsoil 5W30 last year. This year I did some research and switch for the hot months to Mobile 15w50 race oil with the most lead of any oil manufactured. I actually did a whole weekend at Road Atlanta in 95f temps and only used 1 quart the whole time. I decided with winter comeing and the weather a bit cooler for Roebling Roag to try the Racing Amsoil 10w40 with lead added. That is the oil I just used and as I stated, it burned up quite a bit of it.

I'll be going back to the Mobile 15w50 in the spring. You can read lots and lots of stuff, but I've got an oil using engine and my real world experience says this stuff is the best for my engine. You might give it a try. Easy to find and any parts store.

[QUOTE=kwhiteside;109763] the most lead of any oil manufactured. I actually did a whole weekend at Road Atlanta in 95f temps and only used 1 quart the whole time. I decided with winter comeing and the weather a bit cooler for Roebling Roag to try the Racing Amsoil 10w40 with lead added.

With roller lifters and semi-roller stock rockers, I don't see the need for the Lead additive in your oil choice. Lead is great to prevent lifter scuffing in flat tappet motors. Hard on Cat converter life is why they have reduced it.

While your cylinder walls are still in good shape, you might give some thought to re-ringing the motor and adding ARP rod bolts and maybe forged pistons. When the heads are off, that's the time to look at the lifters and ??????????? One thing leads to another.

I hope you have a magnetic plug in your sump. I pulled my rocker arm cover to install a set of Yellow Terra roller rockers and found one stock rocker lost all the needles on one side. The side retainer had popped out. Found two needles on top of the opposite head. The mag plug got all the rest. No noises to clue the problem.

Good Luck, Curt
    99C5, mn6, Vortec T trim, Snow meth injection, AFR 205s, ARP studs,Comp 224*112*+2*.580", YellaTerra RRs, PRC Ti's w/dbls, Supermaxx LTs, No Cats, Corsa Indys, LS6Intk, Hurst, Fikse Aro18"s. Pilot Sports 315/30,265/35, 04ZO6 Shocks Hotchkis bars, EBC YellowStuff pads, SS hoses, LM-1, EFILive, 2002 OS. RPS dual disc Clutch, DTE Strut Brace & output shaft.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567