Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Chevy Silverado 2500hd ECM?

Default 2008 Chevy Silverado 2500hd ECM?

Looking to upload the right ecm for EFI Live tuning on a 08 Chevy Silverado 2500hd with the 6.0L motor and 6 speed Tranny...

I think that its:

Gen IV LS2 E40 ESM.... Is this right?

Thanks in advance...

Can someone point me to the newbie intro forum??? I know I know... I hate to have this as my first thread!

But I will intro myself soon enough!

Brian

Lifetime Member

Does the ECM already have a tune on it? I would make a backup of stock tune first. When you select the controller it shows a picture of the controller. See if it matches the looks of the controller you have. Couple look real close to each other. Then hit the Status to see if it connects. If so then download tune.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian1 View Post
    Does the ECM already have a tune on it? I would make a backup of stock tune first. When you select the controller it shows a picture of the controller. See if it matches the looks of the controller you have. Couple look real close to each other. Then hit the Status to see if it connects. If so then download tune.

Brian
    No there is no tune on the truck currently! I need the correct ecm so that I can upload the stock tune to save it to my laptop...

So pretty much I could chose one of the ECM's and it will only connect if its the correct one and wont mess anything up? All I am trying to do is save the stock ECM to figure out what changes I want to make to another file of this...

Thanks for you help!

Lifetime Member

I am not sure which controller it is but if you open EFILive tune and just select the download from ECM ( the flashscan does not need to be connected ) and go through the list of controllers. It will show and image of each one. Thats about all I know to try.

Brian

Someone said it might be a E38 , try that first .
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Lifetime Member

I was not thinking if you have the tune already for a 2008 then it knows what you have in controller. Just load the tune and do a full flash to the controller. I did some searching and looks like 2007 have the E38 like mentioned. No idea if change in 2008. But as long as tune is for a 2008 then it will tell you what the controller is and you can verify the image it shows to the controller it says is on a 2008 tune when you start the flash process.

Brian

Lifetime Member

Its an 08 Silvy, so its a NBS truck. No NBS Silvy used the E40 (never used in the Silvy platform) or LS1 (OBS). Its an E38 for sure in there, unless its a Duramax.

Read the stock tune out, then save it and copy the saved file to a few locations to be safe. Think Ive got 3 or 4 copies of my stock tune floating around, the next backup of my documents Im throwing all my tune and customer tune files on a DVD.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    Its an 08 Silvy, so its a NBS truck. No NBS Silvy used the E40 (never used in the Silvy platform) or LS1 (OBS). Its an E38 for sure in there, unless its a Duramax.

Read the stock tune out, then save it and copy the saved file to a few locations to be safe. Think Ive got 3 or 4 copies of my stock tune floating around, the next backup of my documents Im throwing all my tune and customer tune files on a DVD.
    Ok... I will try that...

Yeah I have a couple copy's saved around for my Duramax... I have one on my laptop one on my phone and I e-mailed a copy to a bud that wrote the tune for the Dmax.

Lifetime Member

Ok the concensus is it is E38 so since the ECM had no tune and you have a tune for the 2008HD 6.0L Vortec then you should be set. Like I said you can look at the image of the controller during the setup of flashing and look at the one in the truck to compare. But I would say your fine. 2008 HD 6.0L Vortec and a 2008HD 6.0L vortec tune and your set. Let us know how it all goes.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian1 View Post
    Ok the concensus is it is E38 so since the ECM had no tune and you have a tune for the 2008HD 6.0L Vortec then you should be set. Like I said you can look at the image of the controller during the setup of flashing and look at the one in the truck to compare. But I would say your fine. 2008 HD 6.0L Vortec and a 2008HD 6.0L vortec tune and your set. Let us know how it all goes.

Brian
    Ok Will do!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast