Thread: I have no VIN number

Default I have no VIN number

I just got my FlashScan V2 loaded last night. I'm trying to use it on my 55 Chevy with a 98 LS1. I have no idea what the VIN would be. When I plug into my car it just states it's not connected?

Anyone care to help a new guy

Quote Originally Posted by Tuned55 View Post
    I just got my FlashScan V2 loaded last night. I'm trying to use it on my 55 Chevy with a 98 LS1. I have no idea what the VIN would be. When I plug into my car it just states it's not connected?

Anyone care to help a new guy

Please disregard this post

Did you get it sorted out...?

Well yes and no. I was able to copy my PCM to my lap top. Is that considered my data log?

Lifetime Member

It is considered your stock tune, datalogging is the capturing of real-time data from the PCM as you drive around.

If it is from an LS1 PCM circa 97-98, I might suggest upgrading to a 99-02 PCM so you can have better control over your engine. However, 97-98 LS1 PCMs can be tuned without using a license, so that is a benefit of staying with the 98 PCM.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Thanks for the info. I'll get out later today and get some real time data. At this time we have 3 98 LS1's I may take your advice and pick up a newer PCM once I learn the tune. My son was an awesome tuner and loved doing this but unfortunately we lost him so it's up too me to learn this.

Bruce, sorry to hear about your son.

Like Erik said, your read-back PCM file is the stock .tun file, save it somewhere.

Each time you edit/save a tune file, the file name will have an incrementing number appended... this is what you will flash back to the PCM (calibration-only flash).

When you drive the vehicle the scantool and/or FlashScan can log some various pids... this is the log data.

Exactly as Erik said above.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Bruce, sorry to hear about your son.

Thanks Joe. It will be two years next March. He was 26. The shop that he worked at called him Super Tuner. He built a 383 roller motor with a K block, Lingenfelter plentum, super charged with methenol injection. All in a 95 short bed Chevy truck. He worked mostly with TPI's and LT1's. He would burn chips for them. I now he worked with Moates help also. He got my 55 where it is now with his tuner. I know he would love EFILive!

All his tools and extra TPI items,his truck are in my shop now. It's taken me a while to get back at my projects.In fact I bought EFILive back in January. Just trying to wrap my head around it now. I sure miss that guy.
    Last edited by Tuned55; September 21st, 2010 at 10:21 AM.

Lifetime Member

Wow Bruce, loosing a loved one is never easy to wrap your head around, Im sorry to hear about your son. I sold my 52 Chrysler Saratoga Club Coupe (original 331ci HEMI powered) to an older gentleman who had been collecting cars forever with his wife, but sold all of them when she passed away about 3 years ago. He was just getting back into it now.

The 98 LS1 PCM is just so limited compared to the 99-02s that if you plan on even just running in Speed Density (no-MAF), you're already better upgrading your PCM to run a Custom EFILive OS to retain both spark tables (and COS5 has N20 and 2 BAR boost support).
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.