Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6 Speed Allison Tables

Thanks for the update! let me know if you need help testing some stuff out

Hey GMPX,
    Interesting thing I was wondering if anyone as of yet has looked at? I have a gas allison 6 speed 06 version with the a50 computer. Is there anyway to reprogram the computer to recognize different tap shift switch resistances? General motors decided on a very annoying habit they have roughly as I have found 9 different sets of tap shift resistances in their switch assemblies all using the same either t43 or a50 computers? is there a way to unlock this in the a50? I am wanting to use a gmc terrain console with shifter in my truck with the allison but its resisotr setting are pretty far off from the 06 allison tap shift resistors?

Thanks
    Sean Wolff

Quote Originally Posted by sdwolff98 View Post
    Hey GMPX,
    Interesting thing I was wondering if anyone as of yet has looked at? I have a gas allison 6 speed 06 version with the a50 computer. Is there anyway to reprogram the computer to recognize different tap shift switch resistances? General motors decided on a very annoying habit they have roughly as I have found 9 different sets of tap shift resistances in their switch assemblies all using the same either t43 or a50 computers? is there a way to unlock this in the a50? I am wanting to use a gmc terrain console with shifter in my truck with the allison but its resisotr setting are pretty far off from the 06 allison tap shift resistors?

Thanks
    Sean Wolff
    It would probably be much easier to just take the shifter apart and solder in the GM truck value resistors. (they are the same for all 2006+ GM trucks/SUV's with tap-shift)
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Duratothemax,
    Chasing that avenue as well one of the resistors I found have to be bought in lots of 5k lol or about 800$ per 5k lot rotflmao. I am hoping some of the companies I have emailed will send me samples waiting to see. luckily the terrain has the same type wiring circuit as the trucks. actually the tap shifter resistors in the trucks are all the same the suvs used a different value set entirely. *chuckles* spent about 150 getting dtcs on mitchell to get the needed resistor info for this and cross referencing to the suv, camaro, corvettes models

Sean
    Last edited by sdwolff98; September 29th, 2014 at 12:55 PM.
    The Smurf a 1964 gmc 16 year oddyssey currently getting a vortec 8100 allison 6 speed custom 2011 gmc terrain interior and shift controls

Default 5 speed to 6 speed

Quote Originally Posted by sdwolff98 View Post
    Duratothemax,
    Chasing that avenue as well one of the resistors I found have to be bought in lots of 5k lol or about 800$ per 5k lot rotflmao. I am hoping some of the companies I have emailed will send me samples waiting to see. luckily the terrain has the same type wiring circuit as the trucks. actually the tap shifter resistors in the trucks are all the same the suvs used a different value set entirely. *chuckles* spent about 150 getting dtcs on mitchell to get the needed resistor info for this and cross referencing to the suv, camaro, corvettes models

Sean
    dont want to bother i have a 2001 gas 3\4 chevy with 8.1 and the 5speed allison i have read it can be converted to a 6speed would you know this to be true or suggest who i could speak to about the process

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Atkinson View Post
    dont want to bother i have a 2001 gas 3\4 chevy with 8.1 and the 5speed allison i have read it can be converted to a 6speed would you know this to be true or suggest who i could speak to about the process
    The 8.1L can be converted by swapping over to an 06-07 classic trans, adding in the new style harness, and new style GEN IV TCM with the 06 8.1L flash. The 8.1L for 06 enabled 6th gear, but since the 8.1L was being phased out GM didn't switch it over to CAN BUS and stayed J1939. It is still alot of money to do the swap, for very little reward.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Quote Originally Posted by THEFERMANATOR View Post
    The 8.1L can be converted by swapping over to an 06-07 classic trans, adding in the new style harness, and new style GEN IV TCM with the 06 8.1L flash. The 8.1L for 06 enabled 6th gear, but since the 8.1L was being phased out GM didn't switch it over to CAN BUS and stayed J1939. It is still alot of money to do the swap, for very little reward.
    Not with an 01. Everything electronic in the truck woul dhave to be swapped. 03+, you would be correct.

The only option for an 01, I believe, would be the Suncoast kit. I wouldn't recommend the Suncoast 6 speed conversion, and it's not worth the money for what you get - you don't get dramatic fuel savings.

Quote Originally Posted by THEFERMANATOR View Post
    no.....no....

The 8.1 ECM has never had CAN. Duramax's have always had CAN. Yes, even 2001-2005. WHY can everyone not get this through their head. They just changed from J1939 (which is CAN!) to GMLAN (which is also CAN!) in 2006. All this talk of "can bus this" and "can bus that"...when no one even knows what they are talking about. Theres probably a dozen different variations of CAN. Different speeds, different message structure, etc. Everyone just thinks "oh there are two computers talking to eachother, MUST BE 'CANBUS'". And another pet peeve of mine, technically, the data bus is just called CAN, not CAN BUS. Controller Area Network....yeah its a type of dataBUS, but the name for it isnt "CAN bus". Just like my name is BEN...not "BEN HUMAN".... and you call your truck a "chevy silverado" and not a "chevy silverado truck".... but thats semantics, whatever.

Because the 8.1 ECM never supported CAN, GM used 3 discrete torque signal wires (basically just a square wave PWM signal) between the 8.1 ECM and Allison TCM to communicate throttle %, delivered torque, and requested torque for defuel. Because to add CAN controller chips to the 8.1 LS1-b ECM was more expensive than just telling a couple of the general purpose I/O's to read and produce some PWM signals.

2001-2007 8.1 ECM's are all configured the same way...GM made a special calibration for the 06-07 4th gen TCM that used those PWM signal wires, so they wouldnt have to redesign the 8.1 ECM to support GMLAN when the 8.1 was only going to be around for 2 more years anyway.

Its a pain to convert an 01-02 truck to a 6-speed, just because the instrument cluster design is different. You cant just stick an 03-07 cluster in an 01-02 truck. But you can stick an 06-07 cluster in an 03-05 truck. OH BUT WAIT I thought 06+ was "CAN BUS!!?". No...again....no. GMT-800 body was never CAN or GMLAN. Not in 1999, not in 2003, not in 2004, not in 2007. The whole body is Class 2 data bus only. The only "CAN" in an 01-05 Duramax is between ECM and TCM and FICM (and GPCM in LLY)...and the only CAN in an 06-07 Duramax is ECM and TCM and GPCM. The difference is that the 06-07 ECM and TCM did not interface with scan tools via Class 2 like the earlier trucks...they used GMLAN. Thats the only difference. The 06-07 ECM's still talk to the rest of the body with Class 2...its just when you plug your scan tool in to read data and/or reflash, its over GMLAN (CAN) instead of Class 2.

And 99-02 GMT-800's had Class 2...yes...they did. The difference was it wasnt fully integrated. Doors, windows, radio, HVAC, amplifier, lighting, etc was wired the old school way. 03+ the entire electrical system became multiplexed and everything switched over to being controlled by Class 2. The only modules that used Class 2 in 99-02 was the cluster, BCM, transfer case computer, and airbag module. So YES if you wanted to get fancy, you could repin the connector on an 01-02 cluster connector and plug in an 03-07 cluster. But oil pressure gauge wouldnt work unless you used an 03+ operating system in the ECM.

Didnt I already write a novel explaining this a year or so ago? Sometimes I dont even know why I bother.
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Alrighty then great job thank you so much for the info on the 5 speed the 5 speed works great I think i,ll leave it alone ...........

How about making the 8.1 really run ///////// is 400 hp reasonable heads cam and intake and headers how hard is it to tune it,,,,, probably the wrong thread but i,ll still ask
    Quote Originally Posted by DURAtotheMAX View Post
    no.....no....

The 8.1 ECM has never had CAN. Duramax's have always had CAN. Yes, even 2001-2005. WHY can everyone not get this through their head. They just changed from J1939 (which is CAN!) to GMLAN (which is also CAN!) in 2006. All this talk of "can bus this" and "can bus that"...when no one even knows what they are talking about. Theres probably a dozen different variations of CAN. Different speeds, different message structure, etc. Everyone just thinks "oh there are two computers talking to eachother, MUST BE 'CANBUS'". And another pet peeve of mine, technically, the data bus is just called CAN, not CAN BUS. Controller Area Network....yeah its a type of dataBUS, but the name for it isnt "CAN bus". Just like my name is BEN...not "BEN HUMAN".... and you call your truck a "chevy silverado" and not a "chevy silverado truck".... but thats semantics, whatever.

Because the 8.1 ECM never supported CAN, GM used 3 discrete torque signal wires (basically just a square wave PWM signal) between the 8.1 ECM and Allison TCM to communicate throttle %, delivered torque, and requested torque for defuel. Because to add CAN controller chips to the 8.1 LS1-b ECM was more expensive than just telling a couple of the general purpose I/O's to read and produce some PWM signals.

2001-2007 8.1 ECM's are all configured the same way...GM made a special calibration for the 06-07 4th gen TCM that used those PWM signal wires, so they wouldnt have to redesign the 8.1 ECM to support GMLAN when the 8.1 was only going to be around for 2 more years anyway.

Its a pain to convert an 01-02 truck to a 6-speed, just because the instrument cluster design is different. You cant just stick an 03-07 cluster in an 01-02 truck. But you can stick an 06-07 cluster in an 03-05 truck. OH BUT WAIT I thought 06+ was "CAN BUS!!?". No...again....no. GMT-800 body was never CAN or GMLAN. Not in 1999, not in 2003, not in 2004, not in 2007. The whole body is Class 2 data bus only. The only "CAN" in an 01-05 Duramax is between ECM and TCM and FICM (and GPCM in LLY)...and the only CAN in an 06-07 Duramax is ECM and TCM and GPCM. The difference is that the 06-07 ECM and TCM did not interface with scan tools via Class 2 like the earlier trucks...they used GMLAN. Thats the only difference. The 06-07 ECM's still talk to the rest of the body with Class 2...its just when you plug your scan tool in to read data and/or reflash, its over GMLAN (CAN) instead of Class 2.

And 99-02 GMT-800's had Class 2...yes...they did. The difference was it wasnt fully integrated. Doors, windows, radio, HVAC, amplifier, lighting, etc was wired the old school way. 03+ the entire electrical system became multiplexed and everything switched over to being controlled by Class 2. The only modules that used Class 2 in 99-02 was the cluster, BCM, transfer case computer, and airbag module. So YES if you wanted to get fancy, you could repin the connector on an 01-02 cluster connector and plug in an 03-07 cluster. But oil pressure gauge wouldnt work unless you used an 03+ operating system in the ECM.

Didnt I already write a novel explaining this a year or so ago? Sometimes I dont even know why I bother.

Quote Originally Posted by DURAtotheMAX View Post
    no.....no....

Can I get a signed copy of that novel ??

BTW I need your help and soldering skills for a few projects, hit me up PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast