Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: New beginner's Tuning Guide (DVD) from Calibrated Success

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

Joecar:

I actually like some of the work/displays you have on your profile page. That is generally how I would view a 'tuning guide'.

Granted it would take a lot of work. If one wanted a quick and easy suggestion, just simply combing the "What to Tune First" thread along with the 'Idle Thread' into one single tutorial would be a great first step. If someone knows the Font and Style of the Tutorials I or someone else could give it a shot.

Second, I like your collection of various threads (links) in one of the stickies. Thats where a lot could be accomplished. In essence you have all the material..it is a ton of work to then combine and sort through.

If you decide to do a book let me know. I'll be your first buyer. If you need any help let me know. Like you, my direct experienced centers around one platform and a narrow and focused tuning agenda (LS1-M6). So it is always easier to critique or offer suggestions than actually accomplish the task.

Good discussion though. This thread has certainly garnished a lot of views!

Cheers..
    Last edited by WeathermanShawn; February 10th, 2010 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Grammer
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

Just to make sure I understand where this thread is going-- people are looking for a beginner's guide to tuning and feel it is the responsibility of EFILive to supply it. Following that thought to its logical conclusion--

When you purchase a car, it should come with a beginner's guide to driving
    When you purchase a stove, it should come with a beginner's guide to cooking
    When you purchase a word processing program, it should come with a beginner's guide to writing (would probably need two, fiction and non-fiction)
    When you purchase a book, it should come with a beginner's guide to reading

Do I understand correctly?
    DigitalEFI- EFILive US Distributor
    sales@digitalefi.com
    678/344-1590

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

I think the word 'responsibility' might be a little strong. While I understand your analogy, I would think of more of an enhancement. I.E., if I can get and keep more customers without wasting too many resources..might make business sense.

Obviously, with the publication of a Tune Manual, Scan Manual, Tutorials, etc., someone determined the effort to offer assistance was of value.

Instead of making this an argument, I would just say that from my viewpoint it was merely a suggestion from a customer. I would bet you over 75% of EFILive Readers would agree. But, your point is well taken. Responsibility, of anyone in particular..No, it is an idea that might be a win-win.
    Last edited by WeathermanShawn; February 10th, 2010 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Grammer
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

First all, a Noob here. I dont own EFI Live, but thought I would get started down the path of learning before I invest in an expensive paper weight!

I want to learn about tuning so I am researching the crap out of this site.

I am a bit disappointed, people make it sound like I need all these thousands of dollars in tools.... Yes I have a nice laptop, lots of $$ in tools, I believe I can learn, but over $800for a tuner, then $250 for a DVD on top of that all at once! Whew, that is steep. I bought my wrenches one at a time over the last 20 years and am still adding to my toolbox...

In my searching I see .tun file extentions. I'd like to be able to look at some tunes to see what the heck people are talking about... Would be nice if EFI Live would have a reader like Adobe Reader or AutoCad Viewer... Maybe they do and I havent found it yet... again a noob here

Thanks,
    TJ

Quote Originally Posted by 98blackss View Post
    In my searching I see .tun file extentions. I'd like to be able to look at some tunes to see what the heck people are talking about... Would be nice if EFI Live would have a reader like Adobe Reader or AutoCad Viewer... Maybe they do and I havent found it yet... again a noob here

Thanks,
    TJ
    TJ, welcome to the forum...

To view the .tun and .log files, download/install the V7.5 software from the EFILive website downloads page.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Download the software here:
    http://www.efilive.com/index.php?opt...=48&Itemid=133

With the V7 software, you can open and view the *.tun calibration/tune files and *.efi data log files.

The V8 version software is currently only useful for configuring FlashScan devices for black box logging and black box reading. Eventually it will replace the V7 PC based software, but not just yet.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Lifetime Member

And EFILive is the only S/W tuning tool that will let you try their product first and view tunes!!!

EFILive provides over 100 wrenches at once. Very comprehensive, and with a few minor arguable exceptions, all said and done...nothing comes near it.

Awesome! I will download it and start poking around.... I was PM'ing with another member, from what I have learned so far is that a tune is like human DNA, no two are alike! I definately have a lot to learn....

Thanks,
    TJ

Quote Originally Posted by eficalibrator View Post
    After lots and lots of prodding, I finally caved and made a training DVD for the GM crew. This DVD walks through the fundamentals of tuning using aftermarket tools on the dyno with live demos for both MAF and VE tuning. I have also included a section on proper fuel injector characterization, along with a data disc with reference data for many popular injectors to take the guesswork out of getting those SD60's (or 80's, or FRPP 30's, or green tops, or....) to work right all the time. Most of the DVD was shot when all I had was brandX GM tools, but I added supplements to each section showing exactly what the corresponding tables look like in EFILive, so no need to worry about the confusion there.

The DVD will be sold through Summit Racing as part number SME-DVD-1. I'm planning to ship this week to Summit, so they'll be filling orders soon after. As an added bonus, I'm going to give anyone who buys the disc from Summit a 100% credit of the disc purchase price toward my advanced GM class within one year. You simply will not find better instructional material out there today and my aim is to deliver it in a clear, accurate, and useful manner. Many thanks to Paul and Ross for helping me get set up with their hardware recently. You'll be seeing more and more EFILive in my advanced classes as we move forward.
    Will this cover Diesel Tunning?
    2500 HD 09 Silverado LMM/CC/LB/Z71/LT1
    EFILive w/ DSP5 (Duramaxtuner.com)

Quote Originally Posted by Spuco View Post
    Will this cover Diesel Tunning?
    No, I'm told it's gassers only, and using HPT.

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast