PDA

View Full Version : What am I missing?

1morews6
April 8th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Looking for a little help trouble shooting.

I was driving the car and had rolled into the throttle 3/4 and someone pulled out in front of me and I let off suddenly and the car died. It will not start now. I have fuel and I get TPS signal but am not seeing injector stats at all. Of course I really have no idea how to test this without the car running. I am running the normal PIDs and hitting the record button and cranking the engine, most of the PIDS have activity except the injectors. Is there a better way to test during engine cranking to see what is working or not?

Thanks
Matt

joecar
April 8th, 2006, 05:01 PM
When cranking...

a. check for spark (pull wire and using a screwdriver provide a 'gap' and observe spark while cranking);

b. put your finger on an injector and feel it pulse while cranking;

if both of the above fail, then you need to check the crank sensor.

if only one of the above fails, then check that subsystem.

joecar
April 8th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Also, turn key on, pull cap from end of fuel rail, quickly press in valve and see if fuel sprays out (use a rag to catch it);

if this fails, then fuel pump/regulator is broken.

ringram
April 8th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Any PCM codes?

joecar
April 8th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Image of log chart...?

joecar
April 8th, 2006, 08:46 PM
While cranking, do you log RPM...?

1morews6
April 9th, 2006, 03:04 AM
No RPM when cranking. I do have fuel pressure and the pump is working. I have checked the fuses and see no bad ones.

1morews6
April 9th, 2006, 03:57 AM
If I add PID GM.CASERL to the list to scan while cranking I get an error and it will not log. This is Crank angle sensor error attempts to learn. I have tried to reset everthing I could removed power from system to see if it was something in the PCM. I am getting no codes set except the generator one from running the battery down cranking it. I have it on a charger now.

joecar
April 9th, 2006, 04:17 AM
The PCM derives RPM from the crank sensor signal, and uses the crank sensor to time the injectors and plugs.

Edit: (Also check that ECT makes sense... but you're not getting RPM so ECT doesn't matter just yet).

1morews6
April 9th, 2006, 04:55 AM
Well got the car on jack stands I guess I will yank the starter and pull the crank sensor, be my luck it will not be the CPS.

dfe1
April 9th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Basic facts of internal combustion-- if you have fuel and spark the engine will start. It may not run very well but it will start. Before you go too far, pull the fuel rail, with injectors our of the manifold, put some rags under the injectors and spin the engine over. Make sure the injectors are firing. The fact that you have fuel in the rail, doesn't mean you're getting fuel in the ports. If that checks out, make sure you have spark. I think you'll find you're missing one or the other. Also pull the spark plugs and make sure they dodn't get saturated with fuel. If they did, they may not fire.

1morews6
April 9th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Well I understand all that but, as I said no injector pulse or RPM on scan when cranking leads me to thing Crank Sensor so I have it apart and hope they have one in stock at the dealer Monday morning. I will follow up either way. Thanks

Matt

99 Trans Am WS6 C5R427

1morews6
April 10th, 2006, 11:24 AM
:bawl: found the problem... reluctor wheel brook loose. This is a Callis crank that did this once before and they supposely fixed it. Needless to say NEVER buy a Callis product... I am a hater now, may they burn in a puddle of bad gas!!!!, I give up I am going to sell the car without the C5R427 Then replace the crank and find me a Z06 to drop it in.

Thanks for the help.

joecar
April 10th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Just for my knowledge, how did you find that the reluctor broke loose... (did you poke it with a screwdriver thru the crank sensor hole and it moved...?)...? :bawl:

1morews6
April 10th, 2006, 01:36 PM
removed old sensor and it was broke all to hell... put my pinky in the hole and I can rotate the wheel... whats another couple thousand :bawl: