Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: E38 = pos

I flash both VZ and VE E38 with the IGN on now days instead of ACC. Still get Immobilzer errors on the VZ E38s but a quick lock and unlock when finished fixed that. VE's are fine. Couple of years ago they used to freak out a fair bit
    Last edited by JezzaB; August 14th, 2011 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meister View Post
    I have tuned hundreds of E38's without a single problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by JezzaB View Post
    I flash both VZ and VE E38 with the IGN on now days instead of ACC. Still get Immobilzer errors on the VZ E38s but a quick lock and unlock when finished fixed that. VE's are fine. Couple of years ago they used to freak out a fair bit
    The immobilzer warning is probably only unique to the VZ Commodore because it still uses the 'very' old ALDL bus on the car as well as CAN.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    The immobilzer warning is probably only unique to the VZ Commodore because it still uses the 'very' old ALDL bus on the car as well as CAN.
    All good, im just glad it doesnt take 15 minutes to flash now days :P

I never knew it did (unless you are using a TechII, then it is about 15mins).
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Back in the early days, circa 2008, it used to take a while. Maybe not 15 min. though.

Bizarre indeed, are we talking a full flash or cal only? I can't imagine how a cal only flash could possibly take so long.
    I know on my own 2011 when flashing, the cluster complains a bit, ESP Off, Service Soon, all that stuff, but when the flash is complete there is no residual DTC's or warnings left.

Yep, very early on when Jez started playing with my VZ E38 ( and then got me hooked! ) it would get very upset if flashed with ignition on. There was no lasting effect apart from alarms going off all over the place. One day I accidentally flashed it while on accessories and had no alarms at all, just like on the LS1 controller. Since then I've only ever flashed it on accessory. With the early VE's ( 2006 - 2008 ) models and versions of EFILive from the same era, if you flashed the ECM with the ignition on, you would at times be left with no ESP or traction control for a number of key cycles, as well as the normal E38 alarms going off. So I just flashed them in accessory mode as well. It just seemed to give a "cleaner" flash at the end of the process.

I did happen to flash a 2010/2011 VE on the weekend in full ignition on mode though and while the alarms went off, the ESP and traction control were not affected. So it's probably fine now and I only do it as a matter of habit.

I started flashing my 08 VE with the key full on but am now doing it on ACC. Less alarms doing it that way and it seems like my ESP/Traction doesn't flip out like it used to occasionally. I still use full key on to flash the TCM though.

Cheers

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by swingtan View Post
    Back in the early days, circa 2008, it used to take a while. Maybe not 15 min. though.
    Full flash was 15mins from memory and calibration only was about 7 minutes. Then they did a new update and said they had increased flash times and it halved.

Yeah, I think you're right there. Even now a full flash is about 5min vs 1-2 min for the full process on a BBF for the CAL. I remember when the CAL olone took over 3 min, that was a bit of a pain when you had no DVT control for a parameter you were working out!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123