Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to replace an LS1 PCM Flash Chip?

I'd agree its something in the calibration
    Jessie has offered this service within the past month on another forum, when the guy locked 2 PCMs and didn't want have to to get 2 more licenses from HPT

Quote Originally Posted by poconojoe View Post
    didn't want have to to get 2 more licenses from HPT
    That's probably the only reason he did it then
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

I should add, the replacement licenses doesn't cover 'every' scenario because obviously such a service is open to abuse. Example, if you were manually modifying a bin file and then using EFILive to flash it in and it bricked the PCM then you don't get a replacement license. Of course we have had people try to swindle the system and ruin it for everyone, so don't expect a free license because your buddy at the local wrecking yard can cobble up a fake invoice for a PCM.
    The intention of the service was to cover licenses on a PCM that was rendered brain dead by a failed flash or a software bug causing a brain dead PCM, thankfully, in the 6 or 7 years we've been doing this there has only been a handful needing a replacement licenses for that reason.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

So I don't want to be a pain in the ass, but does bricking a PCM by playing with the ETC tables that you warn everyone about playing with qualify for replacement? I wouldn't think it should, but with some of the BS that has been going on here lately about not being cut and dry with answers, I think that a yes or no would be needed to prevent future problems!!!
    Thanks
    Mike
    Current toys are as follows:
    1961 Chevrolet Corvair Monza, 145 H6/powerglide. 85 HP of raw fury.... slow and stock and staying that way!
    1969 GMC 2500, 4-53T Detroit diesel/Fuller 10 speed on late model 1500 HD frame
    1970 GMC 9500, 6-71 Detroit/Fuller 13 speed, not sure why I bought it, but it sure is noisy!!!
    1975 Ford F100 shortbed. Currently undergoing Crown Vic subframe swap and EFI 4.6!!!
    1975 Chevrolet Vega, 5.3/200-4R may finish someday, maybe...

Lifetime Member

A search would probably come up with the answer. Its been covered before. I think they will even though they warn you.
    Last edited by slows10; May 4th, 2011 at 09:25 AM.
    1997 S10, 06 trailblazer SS LS2 swap, 4L70E trans, 76mm turbo. Factory ZQ8 suspension. 3.08, G80 w/a zexel. With a 0411 swap.

Quote Originally Posted by schwoch1 View Post
    So I don't want to be a pain in the ass, but does bricking a PCM by playing with the ETC tables that you warn everyone about playing with qualify for replacement?
    No it doesn't, hence the warning, for doing major changes to ETC tables you should use a Road Runner, they can't be bricked in this way because there is no flash chip to permanently store what the PCM perceives as a fatal error. I'll respond to your Email as soon as I can Mike.

Cheers,
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    I'll respond to your Email as soon as I can Mike.
    No worries here.

Lifetime Member

Default Maybe I misunderstood this.

Site Admin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the truck stops, or fails to start, can you check for trouble codes?

If you modify the throttle response too far from stock it can cause the PCM to think something has failed with the throttle system and it goes into a lock-down mode after a period of time (usually between 1 and 30 minutes after starting the engine). When it does that it cannot be reflashed.
    If that is the case a specific trouble code will be set, something in the $6000 range. We can recover the PCM here at EFILive but that would require shipping it to Australia which may cost more than replacing the PCM. If you do need to replace the PCM EFILive will provide a free replacement VIN license for the replacement PCM.

FYI, this is the warning that is displayed with the throttle tables in the EFILive software:

WARNING: Alter ETC calibrations at your own risk.
    Modifying ETC calibrations too far from stock values can cause the PCM to log a TAC communications fault code and enter reduced power mode.
    Extreme modifications may cause the PCM to become permanently disabled.

Regards
    Paul Didnt this guy brick a pcm and efilive said they would replace a license.
    1997 S10, 06 trailblazer SS LS2 swap, 4L70E trans, 76mm turbo. Factory ZQ8 suspension. 3.08, G80 w/a zexel. With a 0411 swap.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slows10 View Post

Code:
    We can recover the PCM here at EFILive but that would require shipping it to Australia which may cost more than replacing the PCM. If you do need to replace the PCM EFILive will provide a free replacement VIN license for the replacement PCM.
    Paul Didnt this guy brick a pcm and efilive said they would replace a license.
    It was a long time ago, I can't recall. But we do look at each case on its merits and we usually err on the side of the customer. I dislike it when I have a legitimate problem that a manufacturer should address but that they won't because they "think I might be lying".

So EFILive will always try to help a customer rather than leave them high and dry if/when things go wrong. We just have to balance that with the few dishonest people that try to rip us off.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Default Anyone reading along...

bottom line: EFILive treats customers better than fair.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast