Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Help with tune adjustments

Lifetime Member

Custom OS and 2/3 Bar Tutorial EFILive V7 Tuning Tool
    Going MAFless
    When fitting a 2 or 3-bar MAP sensor you must disable the MAF sensor. It is possible to leave the MAF sensor in place. This will need to be done on the 85mm MAF as the Intake Temp Sensor is located in the MAF housing. Alternatively, you could relocate the IAT using on older style IAT sensor. Even with the MAF still in place, the PCM must be forced to ignore the MAF signal.
    To disable the MAF sensor:
    Set the Engine Diagnostics->Engine Diagnostics->MAF->Parameters:
    • {C2901} MAF High Frequency Fail 1: 1Hz
    • {C2902} MAF High Frequency Fail 2: 1Hz If calibration {C2902} is not available in the operating system that you are using, then ignore this step.
    • {C2903} MAF High Frequency Fail Limit: 1
    • {C2907} MAF Test Min Engine Speed: 300 RPM
    • {C2908} MAF Test Min Run Time: 0.1 seconds
    Set the Engine Diagnostics->Engine DTC processing Enablers:
    • P0101 ‘C’ Non Emissions
    • P0102 ‘C’ Non Emissions
    • P0103 This is what I was refering to. The tutorial says the MAF must be disabled. Is this tutorial wrong or out of date? This is why I thought the tune was a bit screwy looking. Did the process change for installing a COS?
    Last edited by slows10; May 30th, 2011 at 05:40 AM. Reason: added
    1997 S10, 06 trailblazer SS LS2 swap, 4L70E trans, 76mm turbo. Factory ZQ8 suspension. 3.08, G80 w/a zexel. With a 0411 swap.

Lifetime Member

Superchevy, is your fuel pressure regulator manifold vacuum referenced?
    1997 S10, 06 trailblazer SS LS2 swap, 4L70E trans, 76mm turbo. Factory ZQ8 suspension. 3.08, G80 w/a zexel. With a 0411 swap.

Yes it has a vacuum line to the intake but as for any more specifics than that I dont know. It is still the stock Chevy regulator and fuel rail there is not much of an aftermarket selection for that engine.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChevy View Post

Since I am new to this tuning and customizing does anyone know of a matrix or reference source (ie book to read) that would help me get a better understanding of how the tables interact with each other and how changes in the table affect the tune?
    This may help:
    Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post

Greg Banish's Tuning Books:
    Engine-Management-Advanced-Tuning
    High-Performance-Injection-Systems

Links on this forum: Tutorials

Links on efilive webpage: Tutorials

Also, read the scantool and tunetool user manual pdf's (included with installation of V7 software).

Acronyms: most of these can be found in Greg Banish's tuning books.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChevy View Post
    Yes it has a vacuum line to the intake but as for any more specifics than that I dont know. It is still the stock Chevy regulator and fuel rail there is not much of an aftermarket selection for that engine.
    If the FPR is manifold referenced then table B4001 IFR has to be flat (same value in all cells)...

temporarily remove reference hose, measure rail pressure, use spreadsheet to calculate IFR, in the spreadsheet copy the first cell (MANVAC=0) to all cells in B4001.

You can run MAF'd with the COS and boost as long the PCM's 512 g/s maximum MAF flowrate is not exceeded... if it is then you have to run MAF-less.

You are not running MAF-less unless one of the MAF DTC's triggers...

if setting P0103 in C6001 to Non-Emissions does not trigger this DTC, the set it to 1-Trip.

Alright, I turned off all the MAP settings per the tutorial and the truck wont run.

Sleeper was correct that he did not set up the system- it was my first attempt at loading a COS and I obviously got it all twisted. As stated earlier in the thread I bought the PCM with a base tune loaded on it- which did not run well and I assumed it was from the 2BAR MAP sensor, which led to the COS install. Anyone have a 97 454 factory tune on file for comparison? I have my factory PCM on the shelf but dont have a table top set up to scan the factory tune from it.

I do have a couple of questions about going forward from here-
    How do I figure out a starting point if I cant get the truck to run in order to get a log when I am using the 2 bar settings?
    Can I run logs and VE CALC with the MAP scaled back to 94 and use the wideband to set a base then just rescale the MAP sensor after that or will I have the same issue?
    Or do I need to figure out how to get the truck running well enough to run a VE CALC in the 2BAR set up?

Thanks for all the support.

Try the opposite: run from pure MAF, disable the VE table (set B0120 to zero); allow CL trimming (set B4204 to stock); this should get it running even if the MAF isn't stock; use the correct MAP scaler (to match the MAP sensor you're using); you will be able to do the Calc.VET tutorial for CL mode.

New NBO2's might be a wise investment here.

The Calc.VET tutorial will correct the MAF table (to match your MAF) and will calculate the VE table.

But before you proceed, fix those out-of-range parameters:
    How did you apply the COS...? Did you full flash the empty COS and then cal only flash in a calibration...?

Do you have a PCM or calibration file where the truck ran properly...?

I loaded the COS per the tutoral- flash COS then calibration only from the tune that came on the PCM (calibration 12208511 loaded on OS 12212156).

I do not have a file from when the truck ran right because I changed PCMs before I decided to self tune. I have not tried going back to the original tune from the new PCM since I took the whippletronics off. The NBO2s on the truck are still the factory ones so you might have a good point there. I will fix the out or range stuff try running both the original and MAF only set ups and see if I can get log to post.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    You can run MAF'd with the COS and boost as long the PCM's 512 g/s maximum MAF flowrate is not exceeded... if it is then you have to run MAF-less.

You are not running MAF-less unless one of the MAF DTC's triggers...

if setting P0103 in C6001 to Non-Emissions does not trigger this DTC, the set it to 1-Trip.
    What is the consequences if the the maf pegs out under boost, does the system then revert speed density?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast