Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: we are new to efi live and need a starting point

Quote Originally Posted by THEFERMANATOR View Post
    If you go beyond 500HP at the wheels, chances are your on borrowed time with LLY rods. Some go higher, but others have shortened them at 450HP. Tuning plays a HUGE role in how much it can take, but larger inejctors that allow you to run less timing with a shorter duration can help with it as well. When you start running a 3000 pulsewidth or better for high HP on stock sticks, you have to run so much timing your playing russian roulette, and you have to keep in mind your injection event window can last for 45 degrees or so of crankshaft rotation. At upper RPM's a large pulsewidth can actually push you to the point your injecting fuel almost when the exhaust valve opens. the guys pushing big nmbers on mostly stock engines are doing it with proper setups, and it doesn't sound like the OP's will take him there in it's current state.
    Good info fermanator very good info but still comes down to what kind of power he is looking for i know you can get over 500hp no problem on stock sticks and imo i think safe. not safe for the push rods but safe on the injector side. but yes your right if he is looking for 600 plus he has a little more spending to do. could you get to 600hp with stock sticks. i think so would it be hard on things because like you said you be at every bit of 40 plus degrees timing. yes. but like the saying goes different strokes for different fokes.
    Just some guy

Quote Originally Posted by dieselguy9311 View Post
    Good info fermanator very good info but still comes down to what kind of power he is looking for i know you can get over 500hp no problem on stock sticks and imo i think safe. not safe for the push rods but safe on the injector side. but yes your right if he is looking for 600 plus he has a little more spending to do. could you get to 600hp with stock sticks. i think so would it be hard on things because like you said you be at every bit of 40 plus degrees timing. yes. but like the saying goes different strokes for different fokes.
    600HP on stock LLY injectors would take probably 200+ for rail pressure at a 3200 pulsewidth, and his total injection event would probably be approaching 60 to 70 degrees of crankshaft rotation to do it at 3500RPM's(just guessing here, don't feel like doing the math right now to see what it would actually take). And even at this he would be hard pressed for his engine to live at high HP. And at 200MPA of rail pressure, I would imagine his injectors would blow out in a hurry when it pressure spikes on decel.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Those are just some of the choices you have with the Xcelerator Hot+2 E.T. For maximum performance adding a Dual Fueler, racing cam, ported heads and a turbo upgrade are highly recommended. ok so this is what ppe recommends to add 425hp to your truck. mind you this is at the crank. but stock lly puts out around 310. i believe at the crank again. so you telling me that with ppe running 735hp at the crank is not going to run 600hp. and all of this being said this is ppe we are talking about and i would sure hope that we could program better than ppe's stuff. so yes it is possible. is it also possible to blow them up sure is. but please dont play the impossible card. and i have done the math on 3500 pulse width at 3000rpm its only 34 degrees timing.
    Just some guy

Quote Originally Posted by dieselguy9311 View Post
    Those are just some of the choices you have with the Xcelerator Hot+2 E.T. For maximum performance adding a Dual Fueler, racing cam, ported heads and a turbo upgrade are highly recommended. ok so this is what ppe recommends to add 425hp to your truck. mind you this is at the crank. but stock lly puts out around 310. i believe at the crank again. so you telling me that with ppe running 735hp at the crank is not going to run 600hp. and all of this being said this is ppe we are talking about and i would sure hope that we could program better than ppe's stuff. so yes it is possible. is it also possible to blow them up sure is. but please dont play the impossible card. and i have done the math on 3500 pulse width at 3000rpm its only 34 degrees timing.
    That 34 degrees wuld be start of injection at a 50% window, so in actuality it would be double the 34 for 68 degrees of crankshaft rotation. Not saying it's impossible, but why would you want to push it that hard on stock sticks knowing you could do better with bigger sticks, proper tuning, and be safer doing it from the shorter injection window.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

i dont think you would want to just have to decide what he is going for. some people want to push everything to the limit. just because they dont have to money or to just to see what they can get out of it. its not always smart sometimes doing crazy things you learn new things. good debate though fermanator much enjoyed. i like bouncing ideas off of people that are smart
    Just some guy

PPE's HP/TQ ratings are so far from fact its actually funny.
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

Quote Originally Posted by GMC-2002-Dmax View Post
    PPE's HP/TQ ratings are so far from fact its actually funny.
    Don't they rate all of them at the flywheel? And even at the flywheel they do seem to be pretty inflated. I know somebody sent me some PPE tunes to run before I knew how to really use EFILIVE, and lets say after running them I learned REAL quick how NOT to tune and do my own tuning that actually ran smooth without bellowing smoke.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12